Sunday lunch for Vegans?

It sounds to me like you have developed a phobia Xandra?
When you say you dont want dead flesh sharing your oven or
fridge with your vegatables it points to an extreme aversion to
something the human race has been doing for a couple of million
years in order to survive, and indeed have even been provided with
the teeth to handle consuming?
Can you tell me did your parents eat meat and have you ever eaten
meat yourself?
and do you or your children take vitamin supplments?

Regards bDonkeyman!

I appreciate that humans did many things in the past that we no longer need to do in order to lead a healthy life. We also have body parts that are redundant due to evolution , appendix and canine teeth are an example. I did eat a little meat as a child, unwillingly. My mother became a vegetarian in middle age but no neither myself nor children have ever taken vitamins or supplements.
I can assure you it is not a phobia, if you research you will see many top athletes are vegans or vegetarians.
Big business has obviously jumped on the bandwagon as every supermarket has many varieties of V food where once there were few.

The appendix has not actually become redundant Xandra, just because we couldn’t find it’s use doesn’t mean it didn’t have one.
And here is the latest study as to what your Appendix really does…

[CENTER]Maintaining gut flora[/CENTER]

[I]A possible function of the human appendix is a “safe house” for beneficial bacteria in the recovery from diarrhea
Although it has been long accepted that the immune tissue surrounding the appendix and elsewhere in the gut—called gut-associated lymphoid tissue—carries out a number of important functions, explanations were lacking for the distinctive shape of the appendix and its apparent lack of specific importance and function as judged by an absence of side effects following its removal. Therefore, the notion that the appendix is only vestigial became widely held.

William Parker, Randy Bollinger, and colleagues at Duke University proposed in 2007 that the appendix serves as a haven for useful bacteria when illness flushes the bacteria from the rest of the intestines. This proposition is based on an understanding that emerged by the early 2000s of how the immune system supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria,in combination with many well-known features of the appendix, including its architecture, its location just below the normal one-way flow of food and germs in the large intestine, and its association with copious amounts of immune tissue. Research performed at Winthrop–University Hospital showed that individuals without an appendix were four times as likely to have a recurrence of Clostridium difficile colitis. The appendix, therefore, may act as a “safe house” for beneficial bacteria. This reservoir of bacteria could then serve to repopulate the gut flora in the digestive system following a bout of dysentery or cholera or to boost it following a milder gastrointestinal illness.

[/I]

Thats a ncomprehensive study of the appendix you posted OGF l
learnt quite a bit from that.
But l also thought that the main purpose of that organ was to help
us to digest raw foods, including meat in the times before we
discovered cooking, since we started cooking our food the appendix
has not had much work to do, and so has atrophied somewhat,
leading to the assumption it is unnecassary?
I suppose as humans become more sedentary and lazy more things
will fall off!
Donkeyman!

We are hunter-gatherers by design

Now that all the hard work has been taken out of the “hunt” I suppose many find it more satisfying gathering fruit and veg from the most expensive “local” farm shop that they can drive to :smiley:

You did not say if you brought your children up to be vegans Xandra
and if you influenced them to he so?
And another small point, but important, what did you feed your
children on when they were born?
Vegans use NO animall products!

Regards bDonkeyman!

Interesting about the appendix Old GreyFox. I’ve not had one since a small child and can’t say I’ve missed it!
My children were vegetarian until two decided to go vegan, their children are also. They are all very healthy and reaching all appropriate milestones as they grow.
Just to add I never try to influence anyone, decisions must come from yourself else they will not last.

I am sure I would enjoy trying food at a vegan restaurant & have enjoyed vegetarian food, but would never give up my meat & fish.

When I have had dinner parties, where some members are vegetarian, I would make something different for them… so I am confused as to why families with both vegan & carnivorous members can’t do the same for Christmas! :confused:

Vegans escalate war on meat!

The battle by vegans to completely anihilate the meat eating
majority has taken a legal twist, as a judge has ruled that ethical
vegans,(whatever that means?) will have protection under the law!
Who or what is threatening them that they need protection??
What will this mean for the silent majority l wonder?
Regards Donkeyman!

You sound like you have a genuine preference for veggies Xandra
and not a phobia!
Would you mind telling me if you would allow meat to share your
oven when cooking for guests?
Donkeyman!

False alarm! The court ruling was not on behalf of all vegans, but
Was an individual case involving allegations of illegal dismissal?
Phew! we can breathe again!
Donkeyman!

I bet some of us never stopped! :-D:-D:-D

The appendix and canine teeth aren’t redundant. It used to be thought that the appendix is useless but they have found it has a function in the immune system. Canine teeth are very important for guiding the bite.

What I find interesting is that (some not all) vegans and vegetarians use meat substitutes. But when I asked a vegan friend whether he would eat laboratory grown meat he said no. However, there’s no cruelty involved.

I, for one, am a hard-core carnivore. I eat meat with every meal: breakfast, lunch and dinner. Humans are predators and have been that way since our ancestors lived in trees, swinging from branch to branch. Chimpanzees, our closest living cousins, routinely catch, kill and eat monkeys. I, personally, asked Dr Jane Goodall how often did she observe chimps engaging in meat eating behavior ? She replied, “At every opportunity”.
It is as natural for us to eat meat as it is for lions to eat meat. I see no reason to change my behavior.

Don’t you just hate fussy eaters?

That lioness had allready eaten, or, she was a vegan Brucy??
Donkeyman!
Sorry l replied before watching the video, ( true to form??) you may say
But a great video and cmmentary!

No Donkeyman, I wouldn’t ever buy meat/fish so there would be no question of it being in my fridge or oven.
I have cooked veggie meals however that those eating thought was meat and surprised to find it wasn’t.

I describe myself as a hypocritical carnivore because - much as I like my meat - if I had to catch/kill it myself I could not do it. When I was younger I wanted to be a chef - even enrolled at chef school - but could not cope with skinning/drawing food. To this day I cannot cope with anything that looks like the animal from whence it came.

Sounds like the answer is, you would’nt share your oven with
meat eating guests, Mmmmm?
Could you tell me why?
I would share my oven with vegan or vegitarian guests and let
them prepare their own food if they did’nt trust me to do it!
I am afraid my opinion remains that the majority of vegans and
some vegetarians are taking their diet to religious levels, or are
suffering from a self inflicted phobia?
Some of them have even become activists, why, surely they could
suffer in silence, not attempt to inflct their misery on others!
Regards Donkeyman!

I think l am the same Silver Tabby, l dont believe in hunting as it is
no longer necassary, animals can be killed humanely and l believe
raised on a free rangee basis, and l prefer a butcher to prepare it
for me.
Think l will have a bacon sarny now before bed!
Regards Donkeyman!