Sunak promises 'comprehensive' blood compensation

A crime that nobody will be punished for. Civil servants, politicians who in anyway covered this up, deceased probably. Compensation for the murder of loved ones. Too little, too late after decades of nothing.

As if you can even put a price on the life of a loved one, honestly! :rage:

1 Like

Have only the greatest admiration for those who found the strength to fight for truth and justice. Give their loved ones posthumous honours, the same as fallen war heroes.

1 Like

Typical government, money will not absolve past Conservative, Labour governments from culpability; the state murder of NHS patients.

1 Like

I hold the cynical belief that successive governments have put off dealing with this so as not to be the party and government that has to allocate blame and make the big payouts, damaging their budgets and reputation

A sort of evil pass the parcel game where the one left holding it at the end pays the forfeit and they were all passing it on and hoping it wouldn’t be them

Of course they should get a payout, what they’ve been through is horrific and disgusting

It’s not “compensation” or putting price on their life

It’s a public admission of guilt and that they were wronged and a gesture of respect to them as a person to say their lives had meaning and were important, not disposable to be destroyed on a whim

1 Like

Now we want to know why the NHS did it. Sky News says it was deliberate, no accident.

OK there’s a BBC webpage explaining it better:

The scandal was ‘not an accident’

The report says various bodies hid the truth, detailing how:

• There had been a lack of openness, inquiry, accountability and elements of “downright deception”, including destroying documents
  • But “hiding the truth” included not only deliberate concealment but telling half-truths or not telling people what they had had a right to know
  • These included the risks of treatment they had received, what alternatives had been available and, at times, even the fact they had been infected

Sir Brian concludes that the scandal was “not an accident”.

“The infections happened because those in authority - doctors, the blood services and successive governments - did not put patient safety first.”

The response of the authorities “compounded people’s suffering”, he adds.

Superb posts, @Maree @PixieKnuckles @d00d. I had a blood transfusion and plasma after the birth of my son, very nearly bled out. My sister kicked off big time, and must have said something that got the doctors attention. My treatment changed markedly.

I have just requested a test kit from the NHS. I had a blood transfusion in 1980 and a few years later signed up to donate blood but was rejected as my transfusion took place when they were using contaminated blood.

1 Like

A promise easily made is a promise easily broken.
Especially from an MP.

1 Like