Summer holidays overseas are "extremely unlikely"

Though my trip to Australia and New Zealand are still in the works, I won’t have any argument about postponing. I’ve always thought that to be a traveler you should be well-received by the people in the places you are visiting.

When people from out-of-state visited my area during lockdown in throngs, in hopes of getting away from their own state lockdowns and avoid crowds (which they ended up creating) :roll:, it was extremely frustrating. They played on the beaches when I wasn’t even allowed to run on mine. Within a month of the tourist tide, we went from no cases of C-19, to dozens. As you can imagine, those visitors created a lot of local hostility.

From a travelers’ point of view, I also hope to travel freely, enjoy the state parks, museums, and restaurants. To arrive one to discover that they might be closed, would be very disappointing.

I don’t want to be a “bad gringo”. :lol:

Don’t worry you will be welcomed once the borders are reopened; remote areas like Cairns, NW WA and NT are crying out for overseas tourism to restart.

The farming sector is crying out for European/US backpackers to return as their main source of labour.

I will be grateful for that welcome, but rest assured, I am not coming one moment sooner. I really do respect the efforts of countries to put their citizens first, regardless of the issue.

I had heard that college kids liked moving through the wine regions in different countries to support their travels, but I didn’t realize that was the case there. What crops do they typically harvest?

it’ll be a picnic on the garden here…maybe a barbecue with all the family around thats if I can ever find the barbecue under all the packing cases:)

Except for grain, you name it, they pick it, generally speaking we don’t import any food for bio security reasons and export 65% of our produce, because of our climate there are often two crops a year too. Backpackers are the only way these harvests get collected, at the moment a lot is rotting on the ground, or farmers have reduced their plantings because of the lack of labour.

Not only that but every outback roadhouse or pub is staffed by a smorgasbord of European and American accents., it doesn’t matter how remote the place is.

When I went travelling late last year the lack of European backpackers in the caravan parks was really noticeable.

They sell an excellent Aussie red wine here Surfermom…It’s called ‘Yellowtail’ I like the merlot best, but I’ve got a bottle of shiraz in the cooler for Sunday Dinner…:smiley:

Trying to arrange accommodation for our fair in June & the other dates at Malvern. Every b&b we’ve tried everywhere is booked or only taking two nights minimum. It must be a very popular place to visit, or they are all coming to ‘our’ fair.:lol:
It could be back to the Premier Inn again, unless they are booked too, was trying to avoid that.

Have you searched for these on Tripadvisor ?

Daughter is doing it at present, after I came up with nowt. I told her if no joy we’ll have to go back to the Premier Inn. B&B’s are better though as most have independent outside accommodation, ie, in converted barns, cow sheds etc.