Suggest Some Good British Comedies Please

Here in Canada I just signed up for Brit Box and would appreciate suggestions of good comedy individual shows or series. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s a hard one Ally, because what amuses one person may not amuse another at all. We all have such different tastes, don’t we.

Welcome by the way. :slight_smile:

Hi Ally and welcome to the funny farm :048:

Good, old-style British comedies IMHO are:

Sketch shows:
Morecambe & Wise
The Two Ronnies
Benny Hill

Sitcoms:
'Allo 'Allo
The Vicar of Dibley
Last Of The Summer Wine
One Foot In The Grave (not one of my favourites)
Fawlty Towers (ditto)

British comedy takes some getting used to, Ally.

Some of it is more of the slapstick variety, too silly for me. Try several and one or two just might strike your fancy. I still work to understand some meanings of jokes.

I am sure American humor and sarcasm gets misunderstood much of the time, too. :slight_smile:

agree with Percy on those
…and
The Good Life
Butterflies

All the carry on films , I love em, saucy but fun

The Black Adder series, without question. (If they’re on BritBox of course :slight_smile: )

Hi Ally
Check these out if they’re on BritBox
Dads Army.
Only Fools and Horses
If you like a bit of manic comedy go for The Young Ones and Bottom.
Dunno if Ain’t Half Hot Mum is on Britbox ( The PC brigade might have got to it )
Absolutely Fabulous
Enjoy.

Lots of suggestions now to take up my couch potato time. One I used to watch eons ago was Fresh Fields, loved that show.

Thanks all and thanks for the welcomes too. I was here awhile back, got lost and now found my way.

‘Carry On’ films - (before Barbara Windsor)
Ever Decreasing Circles
Surgical Spirit
Waiting for God
Keeping Mum
Porridge

My favourite all time comedies are : Only Fools & Horses. Hi-de-hi. The Good Life. Goodnight Sweetheart.