Stuff too much of it

Exactly, that was how I went about things as well. It took a lot longer though as I could only do it when I was home in Perth, so a few times a year. Then Lockdowns stopped me from travelling back and forth.But it’s all done now.

2 Likes

About 10 years ago I retired and downsized from a house into a flat, which is quite full, especially as I took up a new hobby - leathercraft, so there are tools & materials for that

However I have been sticking fairly rigorously to not buying any more possessions unless i definitely need them, and i think I’ve stayed with that fairly well

Possessions include clothes, and I’m not replacing those that wear out unless absolutely necessary
By the time you get to my sort of age you usually have plenty of clothes anyway, and those that I have will see me well into the future
The only exception has been new socks & underpants

I do, however, need a new hard/upright/desk chair - the one i have serves both my dining table and my desk, and it’s falling apart

And that’s about it, I think

3 Likes

I am not a “stuff type” person and never was. When I divorced 13 years ago, I left with minimal things. I restocked my kitchen with essentials, bought some furniture I liked, only hung on my walls what I liked and didn’t hurry just to fill space.
I hate clutter, am neat and keep things clean as I go. I weed out closets of my clothes every year if I haven’t worn them in three years, and my family treasures are stowed together.

I really do enjoy my abode, it’s warm, comfortable, inviting to my friends, and I never worry if someone pops in for a visit. I am ready for them, with fresh coffee if they like. :smiley:

4 Likes

There may be a time when you are able to redefine “stuff” and “usefulness”. It doesn’t stay the same throughout your life. Time will tell. :wink:

1 Like

Dachs, you are right…but what is annoying is that I need the right now usefulness, in order to feel tidier and more…flowing. It will be useful in the future, I just don’t know when. So I keep it, because, as @LongDriver says…as soon as you get rid of it, you find that you need it. I’m sure there’s a sods law in that somewhere. :frowning:

I’d differentiate, though, between “stuff” that may be needed for future repairs and objects that are worth keeping because they have a certain nostalgic value so that they could be passed on.

Hmmm…neither apply in this instance. Its mostly art supplies and crafting things. Books on that subject too, are taking up valuable space. I haven’t even looked at the books for years because I just find everything online. Some of the kids things that they left behind after they left home are here too…unlikely they want them back either…I can’t see my son looking for his electric guitar or skateboard really anytime soon! :joy:

We had to make precisely that decision. I guess I was brutally honest when I decided to give a lot of books away just because I wasn’t very likely ever to read them again. Like you I have become more of an online person but I also borrow a lot of books and mags from the library and also constantly buy new books.
And prior to the move into our condo I summoned my daughters to make them decide on the spot what of their childhood stuff they’d like to have and to store in their own homes then.

2 Likes

Oh I can so relate to that! I have loads of books on all sorts of crafts which are just gathering dust, for the same reason.

I am a terrible fabric hoarder. I do get through my stash, eventually, but I simply can’t get rid of the leftovers. I have a huge box of useful size fabric scraps (patchwork, appliqué and so on) another large bag full of much smaller scraps that I save for primary school craft sessions. And then there’s another bag full of really tiny shreds of fabric, threads and tiny bits of knitting yarn, which is useful for stuffing. I will never make enough soft toys in my lifetime to use it all :roll_eyes:

And of course there’s all the stuff from other crafts - merino tops for felting, ceramic tiles for mosaics, acrylic paints, fabric paints, knitting yarn, waxed cotton, macrame cord, blank cards, stamps and stamp pads, punches.

I really must get rid of some of it. Or perhaps craft much quicker :joy:

1 Like

I’m nodding so much right now, haha!

1 Like

I try my best not to keep too much stuff. I do not like clutter. I’m always downsizing my wardrobe so it all fits neatly into my wardrobe. I’m definitely not a hoarder.