Stuff the British Stole

I have just been watching the first episode of “Stuff the British Stole”, it is based on a podcast of the same name (I have bookmarked it in my ABC Listen app for my walks).

The first episode was about the Stone of Scone taken from Scotland by Edward something or other in the 13th Century and used as part of the crowning of British monarchs ever since.

The program dealt a bit with the history but mostly the “theft” of the stone from Westminster Abbey in 1950(ish) by some Glasgow Uni students and how their attempt went farcically wrong but they managed to get away with it.

2 Likes

That sounds an interesting programme - I’ve seen the Stone of Destiny, which was eventually returned to Scotland, to Edinburgh Castle, and have heard a bit of the story of how the 1950s students who took it managed to break it before taking it back to Scotland - it did sound like a bit of a farce! - and how on Earth did they manage to get the stone free from the chair and get it out of Westminster Abbey without anybody noticing!

If the Stuff the British Stole series is going to cover everything, it must have a lot of episodes!

1 Like

Contains a link to a YouTube trailer.

1 Like

Not only did they steal things,every new country they landed on they claimed for themselves.

1 Like

Hilarious

1 Like

Cue the World Series:

“Stuff the Nazis Stole”
“Stuff the Russians Stole”
“Stuff the Japanese Stole”
“Stuff the Americans Stole”
“Stuff the Spanish Stole”
“Stuff the Dutch Stole”
“Stuff the Normans Stole”
“Stuff the Vikings Stole”
“Stuff the Romans Stole”

Sadly, theft has always been part of the human history … :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

With Australia not only did they claim it as their own but decided it was a good place to send all the people they didn’t want.

2 Likes

IIRC, the Dutch “found” Australia first but couldn’t think of a use for it … :wink:

1 Like

Look at it this way … America beat us to the moon.

1 Like

There were people already living there and using it.

1 Like

I could think of a few I would send there.

1 Like

True … and not all their “country” has been handed back to them:

2 Likes

The according to the ABC Listen app the podcast is well into its third season so you are probably right.

The series is also available on Apple and Spotify so anybody can listen though I think the ABC Listen app works anywhere in the world because I know of people in the USA who use it to listen to the ABC broadcasts.

2 Likes

We took what we wanted because no one had the balls to stop us, there were only 22 countries on the planet that were not invaded, which was a shocking lack of planning and I hope someone was brought to task about it

1 Like

Nope, that’s the typical Eurocentric view, long before the Dutch visited the Chinese arrived but 60000 years prior to them people wandered in from SE Asia, stayed and definitely found a use for the place. However this show is not about that (yet)

AFAIK, the Chinese are taking a low-key approach this time:

https://aus.thechinastory.org/archive/chinese-immigration-to-australia-and-chinese-australians/

Of twenty-three million Australians, almost one million have some kind of Chinese ancestry. Chinese Australians comprise four percent of the total population and forty percent of the Asian Australian population, with Sydney and Melbourne the major centres of concentration of Chinese Australians. Since 2011, mainland China has been the largest source of permanent migrants to Australia, and there are now 319,000 Australian residents who were born in mainland China — the third-largest foreign-born ethnic group — as well as 75,000 born in Hong Kong, 25,000 born in Taiwan and 2000 born in Macau. Standard or Mandarin Chinese is the second most-spoken language in Australia after English.

Significant Chinese immigration to Australia began in the 1850s as part of the Australian gold rushes, but the number of Chinese in Australia dwindled following the passing of anti-Chinese immigration laws, culminating in the federal White Australia Policy (WAP) effective from 1901 to 1973. While the WAP effectively barred Chinese immigration, Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese came in the 1950s and 1960s under the Colombo Plan, and Indochinese refugees were welcomed during the 1970s. Tens of thousands of Chinese students were granted residency by then prime minister Bob Hawke following the Beijing massacre in June 1989. Large numbers of Hong Kong residents were given visas when the territory reverted to Chinese rule in 1997. But the end of the WAP and China’s ‘reform and opening’ from the 1980s have led to a continuing surge of skilled and family migration from China.

It was all borrowed, the Brits just forgot to give it all back, that is being put right posthumously.

Lots of stuff was kept in good hands, like in the British Museum, before being handed back.

1 Like

You got it!

Actually that is not true, I remember reading that they nearly ruined the Elgin Marbles for example. I forget exactly what they did wrong but it almost resulted in their complete destruction.