Study shows dramatic decline in effectiveness of all three COVID-19 vaccines over time in the US

A new study on veterans in the US shows a dramatic decrease in effectiveness of three of the covid-19 vaccines over time. The effectiveness of the vaccines were measured in March and again at the end of September.

From March to the end of September, the vaccines declined in effectiveness.

Moderna 89% to 58%
Pfizer 87% to 45%
Johnson and Johnson 86% to 13%

1 Like

Why are we testing on Veterans again. Haven’t they done enough? I take that back knowing the Veterans they probably volunteered.

2 Likes

So vaccines are like humans the older they get the less things work. Got it!

1 Like

The Astra is no better either.
Our esteemed leader despite not being the age to qualify made sure he got the Pfizer while telling the rest of us how wonderful the Astra was.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to guess that it’s because the government has more access to the VA (Veterans’ Administration) hospital more than other places.

I’m not sure they had to do anything. They probably just looked at their records to see if they were vaccinated and whether they got covid later.

Sadly true of so many things. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

But things like wine and you an I we just get better and more expensive with age. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

In the UK, the decline was noted in August:

The “booster” program began in September:

14 September

It follows a recommendation from the government’s vaccine advisers, the JCVI, who said about 30m people should be offered a third dose.

They said the booster should be given at least six months after a person had their second dose - with the Pfizer-BioNTech jab recommended.

Those eligible include over-50s, younger adults with health conditions and frontline health and care workers.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid made the announcement in the Commons as part of an autumn and winter plan for managing Covid in England.

The recommendation from the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) comes amid concern about waning immunity.

There are some signs protection offered by the vaccine may start dropping off several months after the second dose - with the most vulnerable groups most at risk of this.

lol it’s not a contest. The decline was noticed all over the world months ago, starting in Israel since they were the most vaccinated country.

The US started its booster program in September as well.

The study is new. Studies take longer to finalize.

The UK information was provided as comparative not competitive since the tags were non-specific 
 :wink:

Most, but not all vaccines are the same, or we would not have our annual flu shot around this time of year. C-19 will be the same so we can look forward to annual C-19 boosters too 
 Thanks China!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I think flu vaccines are a little different. Every year, the flu vaccine targets different viruses. That’s the reason that it’s not always effective. They’re not always accurately predicting the right viruses.

This article says that in the next 10 or 20 years, there might be a universal flu shot that targets all viruses that won’t need to be taken every year.

1 Like

It’s the same with C-19 in that with each new person infected, there is always the risk of mutation and existing vaccines might not be effective, so new ‘shots’ will be required as and when produced.

1 Like

I was under the impression that it was pot luck which vaccine you got for the 1st jab unless there were specific underlying reasons.

Not here.The Pfizer was unavailable for the masses for quite some time.

Gotcha :+1: