Storms and Sea Defences

Lots of various Storms occur around the world, it got me thinking and reading recently, also recalling where I lived on the Coast in the UK before I escaped to France.
Bexhill on Sea the last storm that I remember

then like all around the UK Norwegian Rocks arrived to keep the sea back from invading the Land.
We were allowed to take away the small pieces that had broken away from the huged boulders.
We used them to cover the liner of a stream he had built in our Pebbles Front Garden… I have talked about that before, probably.

download (2)

The report page below gets more interesting as you read on …goes on to some History and Facts about Northern France as well…

2 Likes

Last night the wave rider at Port Kembla (Wollongong) reported 11 metre waves before it stopped working. Fortunately it didn’t coincide with a high tide and to date there has been no reports of beach erosion but the surfers are having a lovely time.

Where I lived in Folkestone (Kent) there was a nearby suburb called Sandgate where the seafront houses would occasionally have their windows smashed by the shingle from the beach during storms.

Presumably rising sea levels will make this all much worse

1 Like

Yes Bruce I know over the years houses have been lost to the sea.
The Norwegian Rocks have already saved a lot of homes
Hard to stop the sea though…
My Grandad he lived in Folkestone, was a professional photographer and sadly through family disruptions I have no access to any of my late Parents possessions, i.e Photographs, particularly from my Grandad…he did get an award from the Queen for his services during the last war…terrible war photos, but of great interest still…

I do know my estranged oldest Son was years ago, selling his war photos on fleabay…very sad for me at the time…

I have just ordered a new Camera and thanks to Danny helping me with recommendations.
I am eager to get it now.
crikey 11 metre high waves… :thinking:

2 Likes

Good reading. The beach behind my place is not subject to erosion, but we have areas up and down the Gulf Coast (Gulf of Mexico, FL) that are. Because we have sandy coastlines, and the appeal is very white quantize, beach renourishment is a combined effort of pumping sand back up from the bottom (of which I have mixed feelings) and anchoring the dunes with vegetation. These photos show teams of volunteers replanting sea oats that will eventually help dunes grow to heights of twenty feet or more, and sand being pumped through pipes from offshore. States pay for these endeavors from tourist revenues: Sea Oats

2 Likes

Once remembered seeing a doco of England some years ago now and it was quite astounding to watch house and front gardens for ever getting closer to cliff tops as not just the beach was being eroded but the whole cliff face - it was quite startling! - maybe that would have been that series - Coastlines of Britain heh?

3 Likes

Di brought to mind the storm that destroyed the railway line at Dawlish. Shows the power of nature

4 Likes