Storm overhead tonight

It’s almost 12.30 a.m. and the wind is hitting the house , the banging and noises awful and I can’t sleep , the rain is lashing at the windows and I’m too scared to get out of bed and look out the window for fear of what damage to my garden , or worse I might see . For moments the howling wind seems to abate and keeps coming back with vengeance. Dustbins banging around and it’s recycling day tomorrow so all the empty bottles rolling around the street , I bet there are bags of rubbish flying too . I’m so hoping my expensive fencing panels and posts hold up , it cost me so much, less than a year ago , it’s funny how my fencing always ends up across the road , it’s maintained and painted every year and the best in the road , every other neighbours don’t give a care about theirs and theirs always stays up ,all riddled with age and holes yet mine gets dumped hundreds of feet away , or did , that was my old fencing , this lot cost a bomb . Please stay upright fencing , let the wind get some other person’s this time , not mine . Oh , oh , a huge bang , bet that’s my bin , if it’s the wine bottles at least my half dozen will mingle all into the other bottles rolling around and no one will be able to spot mine and how many bottles I’ve tried to hide . Blimey it’s noisy , how come my attached neighbours can sleep through this bombardment , jeez I’m blooming scared, clear off wind I hate you , you’ve been hitting my house for about 3 hours , your scaring me now . I’m having fearful thoughts about damage I may see in the morning , I’m too scared to get the insurance documents out of the bedroom drawers. Oh blimey, I can feel my bed shuddering as the wind hits , who would have thought this block of 6 houses could shudder , clear off and go hit someone else’s house .

I’ve got half a bottle of red wine down stairs calling to me , but can I be arsed to get out of my warm bed to get it , mmmm, maybe if I can’t sleep .

For a few moments it’s gone soft and quiet , yet my mind is on high alert and I don’t feel safe to try and sleep .

I am rambling away to myself but writing down my fearful thoughts cause I’m scared , I hate wind and storms , I don’t know how to fix things anymore or I should say I can’t as I don’t have the physical strength by myself and I have to pay workmen and sometimes I get ripped off , so bug…r off wind and damage the horrible blokes house , the one who dented my car door , go and sort his place out , I’m nicer than him

These are my manic ramblings as I sit upright in my bed , no one to talk to , so I thought someone on here might be doing the same

I hope when tomorrow comes , daylight, I peek through my curtains and my fencing is intact and my little house safe and snug and all is well , of course I hope the same for others too , but if it’s them rather than me I’ll feel relieved .

Shall I get that red wine or shall I try to sleep

Let’s see what the next hours bring

Night night , sleep tight ,be safe it’s a horrible storm

Bl…dy hell , I think that bang was another dustbin flying up the road

3 Likes

I’m sorry the wind is so fierce where you are. I hope you wake to find your place untouched by the high winds.

1 Like

Dorset by the sea , its a howler . Wish I could sleep , not a sound from next door neighbours, but they are young and kids can sleep on a clothes line can’t they !
Their first baby is due anytime so I guess they are trying to get as much in before she arrives .

I’m rambling again , so I’ll turn off now or I’ll bore you all to sleep

Night

1 Like

Ramble away if it makes you feel better. Your OP is very descriptive. Maybe you could turn it into a story when the storm is over.

1 Like

Exactly Susan, it’s 4 am here, the storm woke me up, Jack also needed to go out,I braved it and took him round the block, I noticed someone’s garage fascia was on the ground, that wind must be pretty powerful to rip that off, leaves and tree branches everywhere, plus it’s pitch black here, the council street lights go off at a certain time…anyway I got back indoors safely, I’m too awake now, so will make a cuppa.

I hate that wind as well, it can cause so much destruction and fear…hope when you read this, that you managed to get through the night…it seems to be dying down a bit now Susan, I can’t imagine what it must be like living in a tornado country, where they are never really free from that threat of destruction and also death…horrible!!..just horrible!.. :heartpulse::pray:

1 Like

Stormzy in my garden !
Walking the dog , the road has been closed covered in shingle sand and seaweed

1 Like

Morning everyone , its just after 7am and I waited till light to brave putting my coat on , my fencing is amazingly still upright , ( weatherboard and concrete posts ) one post has blown slightly inwards but the panels are still in . I am sooo relieved , I havnt looked at my roof as its still pouring down and very windy . I’ve walked into the road and retrieved my bins and can you believe my green box with my empties in is still sitting there intact , I was temped to throw some onto the hedge with the others but I didn’t, the hedging and road is littered with empty rubbish bins and bags and broken bags everywhere . I retrieved 3 bins from the middle of the road but will go pick up rubbish when wind and rain stops . There is damage blown away fences but at the moment it’s all I can see .

I didn’t drink the half bottle of red in the fridge, I think I fell asleep around 3 and woke at 5 I hope your all safe too . I was frightened . So I am thanking the universe / God/ Buddah , whom ever for keeping me safe and my home safe .

I don’t know about the horrible bloke up the road , the one who dented my car door and didn’t let me know , yes it was him , he knows I know but I had no evidence , well I hope his fencing blew down , there has to be Karma surely!

The storm is still banging away but a little less so , lots of sirens now , police and fire engines , ambulance rushing around . Poor people . Its been awful .

The kid neighbours are still asleep , surprising baby hasn’t arrived in the chaos but maybe they didn’t even hear it , oh to be young and strong .

Oh l do feel sorry for you Susan as there’s nothing worse than not being able to sleep.
I am glad you didn’t drink the red wine, imagine all those tannins swilling around your teeth!! You’d have blue teeth this morning!
I normally have some cereal with warm milk if l can’t sleep. In bed, l imagine l am looking at a black wall.
I suppose living by the sea, you’re more open to the elements. I am pleased your fence is still in situ and there was no damage for you.
If there had been, it wouldn’t have been a glass of wine you needed. It would have been a few bottles!!

1 Like

Glad to hear that your fence held up and that you made it safe through the night. I hope that things calm down for you so you can get some sleep.

1 Like

10.35 am I’ve been so lucky this time , I am grateful for that . The storm is still here , this time more gusty and torrential rain , rather than a constant fierce cruel wind . Not many cars around , and warnings of fallen trees and debris.

Like Pauline said , how do people survive living in places where there are tornadoes and hurricanes . I do think our weather patterns are changing into hotter summers and more storms and powerful ones too.

I’m insured but it’s scarey when we hear that insurance companies write in small print and clauses they won’t pay out on .

Thankyou all for thinking of me , I am a woos when things like this happen , it scares me . But my little house and garden are still in tact , I think the tiles up top are still attached as I can’t hear any rattling .

Hope all OK with you all

I can’t say any other than how completely opposite to what you’ve experiencing is on my doorstep Susan but how thoughtful of you to think of others .
It’ s so mild ,no wind or rain I’m surprised that the calendar shows it’s the 1st. November .
Keep safe!

1 Like

Glad you got through the night Susan , night time always seems worse , I was up til gone 3am with a poorly dog , and the rain was bad but not windy like you had it …
Ive just watched someone on Instagram whos roof leaked and are now mopping up , from down south ,
My thought is, theres always someone worse off . that sort of gets me over my anxiety…

hope its calmer now for you …

1 Like

We haven’t had a storm but are having several squalls with gales and heavy driving rain, its now sunny and calm after the last one about 15 minutes ago.

1 Like

Susan, Just to say, l hope you have a better night, tonight.

1 Like

It’s 5 30 pm and the storm is still around . The black clouds in the sky very dramatic . I won’t be as woosy tonight because its not as forceful . So I’ll sleep better. I am near Portland Dorset and maybe a mile away from the sea as the crow flys so when we get them they do hit hard . There is a pub called The Cove on Portland and the sea often goes over the roof and there are dramatic pics of it happening , I bet it got drenched last night .

Sleep well tonight I hope the storm misses you , I think I heard she is called Claudio .

Found this on you tube from a few years back it sits above Chesil Beach , the landlords and customers sometimes stay inside for the experience .

Living right by the sea we get massive storms coming in off the Atlantic, especially during the hurricane season for the US. The wind is my least favourite of all the weather we get, it’s so strong and the damage is often terrible. BUT I do love to listen to the rain pelting against the windows.

1 Like

Few flash and bangs here as well this evening

1 Like