Still want an electric car?

Because petrol and diesel cars are being phased out 2030 , indeed hybrid also by 2035 , so for whatever reason you can’t continue with fossil fuels. That’s the bottom line

Oil is not strictly a fossil fuel Ripple…We are being lied to.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on-energy/2011/09/14/abiotic-oil-a-theory-worth-exploring

1 Like

Well that’s nitpicking ! Is it always a lie when you don’t agree you’ve used the phase before :wink:
Anyway it changes nothing , won’t using fossil fuels soon unless you have a jalopy,
I bet the fines in clean air zones increase for older vehicles…

Well I don’t recognise this persons credentials
I’m going with the mainstream Britannica encyclopaedia wiki, a national geographic
Petroleum, also called crude oil, is a fossil fuel. Like coal and natural gas, petroleum was formed from the remains of ancient marine organisms, such as plants, algae, and bacteria

Well! Well! Well!
Went to Ferrybridge services for a Greggs sandwich and saw a line of charging stations for EV’s…

I was about to applaud their consideration for the planet and the air around us…
When I spotted this…

It’s an Aggreko diesel generator supplying the electricity for all the charging stations…
Well I never…I almost spat out my chicken mayo baguette…
:cowboy_hat_face:
Oh! and by the way…Nice parking Mr Ambulance man…

Also don’t forget that even the chargers fed from the ‘grid’ will most probably receive electricity from gas fired power stations.

1 Like

Quite right LongDriver, not as good as we first thought is it…You and me always knew it though didn’t we…
:+1:
How come everyone I know who knows anything about electrics won’t touch an EV with a bargepole… :009:

1 Like

Several reasons for me, but that scary 600 to 800 voltage shivers my timbers. Part of my family own and run a somewhat large service garage and they refuse all EV’s.

1 Like

I understand there are rules that garages have to follow when storing EV’s LongDriver?

Look what happened to the Battery Hens!!

1 Like

Is that where they get lithium from Spitty?
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Not only storing but you should see the list and checks before working on one. Also, special insurance for such an establishment for building and staff.

1 Like

That’s what I thought LongDriver.
:open_mouth:
There is something else to be taken into account when buying an EV…
I purchased this laptop just over five years ago and already the lithium battery has only got a quarter of the life it had when new. I think there will be some disappointed drivers in the years to come.

On the Nullarbor Plain they have EV charging points powered by a diesel generator. The generator is fuelled by diesel made from waste cooking oil from deep fryers.

A lot of people here make their own diesel from old cooking oil to the point that it is in great demand.

2 Likes

Could this be the reason, EV owners seen to have a Chip on their shoulder?

1 Like

You want to see what is planned with trucks as well. Bear in mind that there are currently lots of electric cars on our streets so, whether you love them or hate them, the electric car industry is some way up the learning curve. With just a few hundred electric trucks on the uk’s roads so far and NO public charging infrastructure, you would think that the Gov will give trucks a stay of execution. No chance. Inside a decade you will not legally be allowed to buy a diesel one in the EU and UK. I saw this piece about the first used electric truck (ex demonstrator) coming up for sale and it talks about the economics of it. The world is going mad! WHo wants a used electric truck?

Personally I wouldn’t want an electric car for various reasons, range isn’t great, battery degradation, depreciation/redale value I think will shock people

I can’t see the future being electric, just small percentage of cars.

1 Like

Me neither Tambos, Electric Vehicles have been around since the end of the 19th century and there’s a good reason why they never caught on. Then Lithium battery technology came along, a sort of eureka moment, but they don’t last too long. Think about the lithium battery in your laptop, five or six years and it will need charging more often, and in a vehicle that means range will be greatly affected. Who will buy a second hand electric vehicle when they have to factor in the cost of a new battery. And as the demand for lithium and rare metals increases so it will will become more expensive. There are nowhere near the reserves of Lithium as there are of oil and coal. How long before we have to backtrack and open up mines and oil wells. Oil gives us many things in modern life, lithium only give us stored energy for a while.

Its just a pity “Earnie” never got Lithium, he would have been the fastest!!!

1 Like

That’s all electric vehicles are good for Spitty…Golf buggy’s and milk floats…

True and it’s the financial hit private buyers will face on depreciation.

I can’t imagine many private buyers wanting to buy a used electric car!

1 Like