Still want an electric car?

and that is without the heaters or lights full oni

2 Likes

It’s well known that batteries don’t perform well in cold conditions, this is where a national charging system would work, imagine if there were charging points almost everywhere so it wouldn’t matter if you used the heaters ect, you could just plug in and charge when you got to your destination, sadly though, that’s a long way off,

1 Like

It`s common sense the battery would be working harder in the cold.
Flat batteries on a petrol/diesel car is the main reason for the breakdown companies being called out in the winter.

1 Like

There’s no “still” about it - I have never wanted an electric car!
I’d consider a hybrid, maybe, when charging stations become more widely available - out here in the sticks, that’s not likely any time soon.

I think it’s common knowledge that sub-zero temperatures are not a battery’s best friend - there’s nothing like a big freeze to flag up a dodgy battery :fearful:

I got sick of having to charge up my battery on my petrol-fuelled car this Winter - as soon as the temperatures got below freezing, the blimming thing wouldn’t start, even if it had been fully charged up the day before.
I had to bite the bullet and get a new battery eventually.
That cost me enough - I imagine a hybrid or full EV battery costs an arm and a leg.

1 Like

In 1830’ish Robert Anderson invented the first electric car, or buggy to be precise. But it wasn’t until 1996 that the first electric vehicle rolled off an assembly line. There is a good reason why they never caught on, because they are rubbish and internal combustion engines were (and still are) far superior to any electric vehicle. Just like wind turbines and solar panels have replaced coal and gas fired power stations before the technology came anywhere near capable of replacing them, so the electric vehicles are nowhere near capable of replacing conventional vehicles.

So what is the reason why people go out and buy an electric vehicle?
To impress the neighbours?
To reduce pollution?
To give you a warm fluffy feeling that you are doing your bit to save the planet from impending doom?
Well actually the manufacture of an electric vehicle produces far more pollution and waste that conventional vehicles ever did

When you consider all the new tooling up to make a different car, and the waste produced when petrol and diesel vehicles will be sent to knackers yard long before they have reached the end of their natural life.
There are many more components required to produce a hybrid vehicle, and we haven’t even started on the battery yet, or the remote possibility that the UK will be able to supply all the EV’s charging up over night.
When EV’s became a thing a few years ago, electricity was a lot cheaper than it is today, and it’s not going to get any cheaper. In fact, its now more expensive per mile to drive an EV than it is to tank up with diesel at the pumps.

2 Likes

Like my Bikes OGF, the do accelerate very fast, linear power, I would buy one, not to save the Earth or to defy the fossil fuel depletion, but for the neck wrenching acceleration :grin:

1 Like

Ours is a hybrid and it works out fine, it’s getting old now and wasn’t new when we got it, but we can count on it getting us there and back

When it turns up it’s tyres we’ll get another hybrid

My husband being a sucker for something new, many years back we got one of the original electric cars

my god, the stress, never knew when you’d be stranded

I like to think electric is helping the environment, I like that it’s quiet to run, too

1 Like

A friend of mine who is a manager in Bristol Street Motors told us that an electric car battery lasts from new around 8/10 years,depending on mileage.
Then the shocking cost of a replacement is at todays price around ÂŁ8,000.
I shall stick with my 58mpg diesel.

2 Likes

Who’s environment though Maree?
And we think that fracking is bad

In pictures: South America's 'lithium fields' reveal the dark side of our electric future | Euronews.

2 Likes

Oh dear, that’s not good, there’s a price to pay for everything, isn’t there?

And all too often that price gets paid by the poorer countries for the benefit of the richer

We can’t continue with petrol and oil though, so hopefully the research into using iron and silicone will pay off

I guess it’s always going to be which is the lesser evil rather than an ideal choice

2 Likes

Yep but then it comes back to bite the arse, the historians get busy, then its reparations all the way and more

Why not Maree?

I opted for hybrid , wasn’t ready to go all electric 
I did consider electric , probably will next car .

Because petrol and diesel cars are being phased out 2030 , indeed hybrid also by 2035 , so for whatever reason you can’t continue with fossil fuels. That’s the bottom line

Oil is not strictly a fossil fuel Ripple
We are being lied to.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on-energy/2011/09/14/abiotic-oil-a-theory-worth-exploring

1 Like

Well that’s nitpicking ! Is it always a lie when you don’t agree you’ve used the phase before :wink:
Anyway it changes nothing , won’t using fossil fuels soon unless you have a jalopy,
I bet the fines in clean air zones increase for older vehicles

Well I don’t recognise this persons credentials
I’m going with the mainstream Britannica encyclopaedia wiki, a national geographic
Petroleum, also called crude oil, is a fossil fuel. Like coal and natural gas, petroleum was formed from the remains of ancient marine organisms, such as plants, algae, and bacteria

Well! Well! Well!
Went to Ferrybridge services for a Greggs sandwich and saw a line of charging stations for EV’s

I was about to applaud their consideration for the planet and the air around us

When I spotted this

It’s an Aggreko diesel generator supplying the electricity for all the charging stations

Well I never
I almost spat out my chicken mayo baguette

:cowboy_hat_face:
Oh! and by the way
Nice parking Mr Ambulance man

Also don’t forget that even the chargers fed from the ‘grid’ will most probably receive electricity from gas fired power stations.

1 Like

Quite right LongDriver, not as good as we first thought is it
You and me always knew it though didn’t we

:+1:
How come everyone I know who knows anything about electrics won’t touch an EV with a bargepole
 :009:

1 Like

Several reasons for me, but that scary 600 to 800 voltage shivers my timbers. Part of my family own and run a somewhat large service garage and they refuse all EV’s.

1 Like