Stealing Fuel

BBC News - Forecourt fuel thefts rise as petrol prices soar

Forecourt fuel thefts, aka “bilking”, are not a new phenomenon. They’ve been going on for years.

Well aware of that, sheezze. but not at this rate. :pleading_face:

Can’t remember where I read it but it was reported that some motorists have found that they have empty fuel tanks and only after putting more fuel in realised that that someone had drilled hole in their petrol tanks and drained the tank!

1 Like

It makes me wonder if more cars will be targeted soon, as more people get desperate.

Surely every forecourt will have CCTV ?

1 Like

Most of the big ones do.

It is not new thing,its been going on for years. But without doubt,it will get worse. The so-called profesional fuel thieves use fake or coppied number plates,so CCTV wont be much use.

I heard on the news tonight that unleaded prices in London are now ÂŁ2.34 per litre !!! :flushed:
How can this possibly go on?

1 Like

The higher it goes, the greater the temptation to steal fuel. Driving off with a free full tank over ÂŁ100 pounds worth now :open_mouth:

And what with catalytic converters getting stolen, and now holes drilled in your fuel tank, we’ll have to be very careful about where we leave the car :red_car::worried:

Interesting discussion on our budget food group about how this means it’s not always worth driving to a cheap supermarket like Aldi to get discount food if you add on the cost of petrol it can be cheaper to pay more at a shop you can walk to

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, Maree. :thinking:

Not worth nicking ÂŁ100 quids of fuel and get ÂŁ500 quid fine though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I suppose if firms are charging more and more to deliver to supermarkets now, those who get home deliveries for their groceries will be having to pay more for delivery too?

1 Like

Yes, there’s bound to be an increase in delivery charge soon, I would have thought

Some on our group who are neighbours get together and share a delivery. But in most areas the really cheap shops like Aldi, Farmfoods and Lidls don’t deliver

Maybe we’ll see more car sharing and sharing petrol costs

It will affect so many things. Even bus fares will have to go up I suppose, and taxis?
I wonder how this will be resolved?
As usual, the less wealthy will suffer most - just as they will with gas/electric prices come next autumn.

1 Like

Yes, it will hit the poorest hardest

Also, as always, it will hit the working poor.

They’ll still have to travel to work, pick up kids from daycare etc

Some will be worse off than those on benefits :frowning:

Its getting so bad that people won’t be able to drive to work, or drive to get food, the schools will close due to energy prices to keep them warm.

1 Like

Swings and roundabouts on working from home, too

Saving on petrol or fares or commuting, but having to heat your home all day

More incentive for employers to close offices, downsize and reduce the office space they have to heat by encouraging working from home. All businesses are going to be looking at increased overheads

1 Like

I don’t know if stealing fuel is on the rise but it is pretty expensive now I paid $2.07 (£1.04) per litre for diesel on my way back from Canberra. Hopefully the Middle East will up their output to reduce the price.

Good grief, Bruce! ÂŁ1.04 per litre? What the 'eck was it before the increases?
ÂŁ1.04 would buy about a cupfull here!

See this:

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-06-13/londons-most-expensive-fuel-station-diesel-selling-for-nearly-250-per-litre

Before this spike in prices caused by the war in Ukraine it was about $1.20/L (£0.60) but diesel isn’t affected by the weekly price cycle in Australia where petrol can vary by 10/15c a litre from Monday to the weekend.

The federal government halved the tax on fuel from 44c to 22c just before the election but that only lasts until September.

I wish our government would half our fuel tax, it would make a big difference. They get the lions share from the fuel we buy…or so I believe.