Staying or Going - accept £1,000,000 to leave your country?

Sounds like there is a bit of a dark side to moving to another country :confused:

I’m pleased you feel settled there and made it work, Lyn:-)

One has to choose the location of where you’d like to move to very carefully. Obviously, the climate of the country (both summer and winter) has to be taken into account, one’s lifestyle is equally important, as well as the ‘locals’ - what attitude do they have to ‘Grockles’ moving into their community???

If it were not for existing and on-going health issues, having been to Cyprus on two occasions (one only a few weeks ago), I would love to up-sticks and relocate to Paphos - such a beautiful place and a very mild climate.

I don’t think moving to another country to live permanently is as easy emotionally or practically as many hope it will be, although if anyone gave me enough money, my children would want to come as well, and I could choose my spot I would give it another go.

I still want to move up to Scotland. Although the Scots can be rather nationalistic sometimes. They very much regard themselves as a separate country from England. But there are some really lovely people up there.

Until 1707, Scotland WAS a separate country and if Alex Salmond has his way will be again - and good luck to them they have every right to want their ‘independence’.

OMG, Never see my beloved Highlands again…Never in a million years. :shock:

Roxy you stay where you are :slight_smile: it doesn’t get any better than Scotland :cool:

There are bigger ones not that far away in Europe Roxy darlin’, I know 'cos Ive climbed a few.

It’s not the size Joe lol. There’s no others like the Highlands, and I love every crag and misty summet. :wink:

Simply no…

[CENTER]http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww157/Callander100/Wildlife/IMG_0052.jpg[/CENTER]

The River Teith at Callander Meadows. The gateway to the Trossachs
(taken on an iPhone 4)

That looks beautiful!:smiley:

Thank you. No bad for an iPhone snap. :smiley:

Really, really good! :slight_smile:

What a pretty place, I could just walk along there with a (borrowed) dog and take it all in.

I do prefer my own company, always have done ,maybe its being an only child.I hate the way people where I live try to make you join in every thing, at last after almost 8 years they have got the message.Some people think its a commune and we are on holiday all the time,drives me mad.I like people but I also like my home to be private. Am I an old grouch!

I don’t think you’re an old grouch at all; I’m inclined a bit that way myself. You may have a point there about only children: we do learn to amuse ourselves and be content with our own company. And everyone is not a joiner!! :smiley:

Hell no. I have lived abroad for different parts of my life. We up and left England to go and live in the Caribbean in 2005 and immediately when they demanded money before they would allow our loved dog to leave the box he had been in for 12 hours or even allow us to give him a drink of water knew that we had made a mistake.

To get anything done we had to give backhanders to everyone from electricians who wired our kitchen up wrong and I got such a shock which threw me across the kitchen to government workers so that we could unload our furniture.

Don’t forget that you have to pay for minute you spend with a doctor and then you have to pay for any medications he prescribes. The warm weather did not help my arthritis in fact often the heat made me feel really ill.

With the expense of building a house with working A/C and a swimming pool just to keep cool, and the purchase of a car that was capable of putting up with some very poor road conditions your £1,000,000 would go no where. So what are you going to live on? We needed a housekeeper as the house although beautiful was difficult to keep clean and in the heat of the day I couldn’t manage to clean house, do laundry, shop and cook.

Fortunately, we gave back our rented house and came back home to England. I don’t know how we would have managed with my husbands type 2 diabetes, my arthritis and then of course the need for surgery. I would not have felt safe having surgery abroad.

I would say that although the grass looks greener on the other side it is often an optical illusion. This place seems to be going to the dogs but it is our place, maybe we should try and make things better. I know I will not roam again but I also know even a million pounds is not enough to start all over again somewhere else.

Someone said it already England is the best place in the world although if we are not careful we will lose what makes it special.

I frequently do, borrowing my daughters dog.
I used to walk around with a £1500 DSLR millstone around my neck, until I discovered how good the iPhone camera was.

I moved to Norway in 2006 and have not regretted one day. i started planning in December 2005 and moved in july 2006. i lived in a cabin for 8 months whilst my house was built. it is on the side of a twenty mile long lake, my nearest neighbour is 10 mins walk away, no traffic no noise no graffiti, no aggro. i have agood standard of living, good health care . i also have a very cold winter and a lot of snow. i have been welcomed by local people although i struggle with the language.
I realise that not everyone will cope with moving and living abroad.it does have to be thought about and you need to have been to that country many times before you can say that you have seen most of the problems that you will encounter.
if anyone does go and do it , please dont try and live in an Ex pat colony, live with the local people , they will always help if you have a problem, and you will feel part of the country.
if anyone ever feels the urge to do it and want to chat about it , please feel free.