Stacey Dooley Ready for War on BBC1

I’m watching Stacey Dooley Ready for War. BBC1 . The British Army teaching these young men to survive the war . They are so dedicated to their country , so willing to fight . They are so polite and respectful .

I’m only half way through and my head is questioning, would young men here in England do this for us , for their country . I’m not so sure , sadly I may be cynical.

Have you watched , and your thoughts

1 Like

Sadly, you are correct @susan_m. imo Have not watched but believe youngsters in UK are divided. No national loyalty.

1 Like

Not watched, but a quote from someone a lot cleverer than me…

War is a place where young people who don’t know each other and don’t hate each other, kill each other by the decision of old people who know each other and hate each other, but don’t kill each other.

4 Likes

Conscription, the first three letters says it all, expendable cannon fodder for those safely away from the front line.

I think the young would heed the call to defend their way of life if the country were to be invaded , just as in ukraine people would volunteer in this country, especially as they’ve seen the brutality inflicted by putin, yes war is terrible and should never be fought, but sadly, it often is…

1 Like

I also believe that war is stopping someone taking what isn’t their’s, and protecting the things that are…

1 Like

It’s hard to tell as long as combat actions are far away and one’s country hasn’t been directly attacked. If that happens, if one’s own town has been hit causing casualties and damage, people usually change their minds. This process will intensify further if foreign soldiers are setting foot on your ground and start killing people. Just imagine that.

That is a difficult one, last time this country had to Dig In, the whole demographic was different, some folks who hark back need to realize that.

Thank you Azz , I tried to make changes to the heading yesterday .

These lovely young men so polite and willing to fight for their country . One lad told of how 3 of his 4 brothers signed up , they told their other brother to stay with mother .

I do wonder would the young people here stand forward, an awful thought but our country does feel selfish and such a mess . The town centre problems at weekends etc
It makes me wonder where is the loyalty .

I watched it Susan…very moving.

1 Like

Yes, all part of the propaganda machine to justify the amount of money sent to Ukraine while our own ex soldiers are begging on the street and people are having to use food banks and turn off their heating. Shouldn’t a government put it’s own citizens first? Are you happy with the way the government spend your money? Because I’m not!

I like Stacie Dooley, she has a knack of getting to know situations and people and is very non-judgemental

I won’t watch that one though, because I’ll find it too sad and scary

My gut instinct is horror that young men are having to do this

If I’m honest, I’d be quite pleased to think that our young people wouldn’t

I’d just want to shout out to those young men to run for the hills and not throw their lives away fighting someone else’s war

Because when it comes down to it, it’s all about money and politics and power and old people and vested interest

And when the young have given their lives to give the powers that be negotiating advantages it will be settled by talk and more money and their sacrifice will be irrelevant

2 Likes

Excellent Post Maree…
:+1:

2 Likes