Spider alert!

Oh - yes - they look lovely then.

1 Like

I’m the handsome one
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I took this in a neighbour’s garden. No spider though.

3 Likes

That is really pretty!

Yes I really like that! Even the gaps of broken strands are interesting :+1:

Fascinating :smiley:
I like spiders but in July every year the ‘spindly spiders’ arrive in some parts of the UK, they do like to spin fine webs in every corner including in the shower and are very annoying.

I am sure you are, but you have to take 3rd place because Max & the spider already have taken 1st & 2nd place! :laughing:

Ah, the beast. Yes, he is photogenic I suppose and I can’t fault him for that.

1 Like

I thought females had that band, white, orange or mottled, around the top of their body & the males were mottled all over it, but looking them up there can be all sorts of markings on their bodies, males & females or even just black.

1 Like

Just put things away in the garage and she is nowhere in sight now - which is good because I could pinch a small piece of her web to put on a cut finger!

1 Like

Wait
what??? C’mon now
WHAT??

When spiders spin webs - it is not to kill their prey but to keep them fresh. Their silk has antifungal and antiseptic properties which, if applied to a wound, will keep bacteria out and help the wound to heal. It does need to be a fresh web though - not a dusty cobweb. Saved me from having to change footwear to come indoors looking for plasters!

2 Likes

Wow
the things you learn here, it’s amazing! I always thought webs were for storing insects for later
which if you think about it,(which I tend not to do since webs are just ugh) does keep them fresh.

Still not a spider fan, but I do have a bit more admiration for them!

1 Like

The web substance also behaves like blood that has begun to clot and begins a clotting process, itself. Handy to have around, maybe, but
usually, if it’s got more than 6 legs and doesn’t fly, and comes near me, it’s dead.

These creatures taste with their feet, so anything bitter, such as vinegar or lemon-type cleaner? They won’t cross. The most deadly to them, apart from mobile house bricks, is WD40. Put a spider in a ring of that, on soil or on concrete and it’s probably there forever. It’s like liquid fire to them. (I know you wouldn’t do that, though!)

Also worth knowing is that spiders most frequently bite ONLY TO HOLD ON, if you start to move.

A well aimed bite from non-venomous spiders can still cause you enough infection to guarantee that you’ll come back from the hospital without, for example, a leg, part of your face and at least one ear. If in doubt, take 'em out! :slight_smile:

Good grief, why did I click this
:astonished:

1 Like

How very unkind!

1 Like

British spiders are pretty much as safe as you can get .
We had an exotics shop for a few years and some of the tarantula species are amazing
 and seriously fast as well ad venomous.
I don’t have any pictures of the spiders but this puppy stung me a few times and it wasn’t too pleasant lol

1 Like