Spain achieved 9 hours continuous renewable energy on a weekday

Spain has achieved 9 hours of continuous renewable energy on a regular weekday.

2 Likes

VIVA ESPANIA. Well done to them for their commitment to global warming reduction. Perhaps it might encourage Britainā€™s Politicoā€™s to begin walking the walk and less just talking the talk.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love if our housing association would install solar panels on our roofs. Iā€™ve done a small experiment with two solar lamps. One by my garden side door and one above the house number.

They both recharged, no problems and Iā€™ve got bright lights. Results!

As fossil fuels are seemingly on the way out. Itā€™d be great to generate our own electricity and get off the greed, oops meant grid and finally save mega money.

Spain has proven that itā€™s feasible and sustainable.

Why not Scotland or the whole of UK?

1 Like

@butterscotch Thatā€™s all well and good providing the sun shines, the wind blows and the tides etc are favourable for water power.

Good for Spain!
Solar energy must be a lot easier to produce there than in U.K. - they have twice as many hours of sunshine per annum and half as many rainy days than U.K.

2 Likes

Do you know a couple of centuryā€™s ago they invented the waterwheel
those same rivers are still flowing
why cant there be waterwheels generating electricity, we have lots of riversā€¦

1 Like

Hi

Our Politicians are very good at talking, but not doing.

National Grid was privatised,60% of the gas side was sole off fecently.

The electricity side is also privately owned, and in spite of being hugely profitable, money is going to the shareholders.

Investment is so lowthat some renewable energy schemes are having to wait 10 years before they can be connected up.

Not very good is it?

2 Likes

How much has it cost in manufacturing, installation and maintenance? And before we get too excited, even Spain is being subject to the hottest weather they have endured in a century. Hence the wild fires that are ravaging half the country.
Itā€™s not really ā€˜sustainableā€™ is it. You donā€™t get something for nothing in this world. It just means that at the point of generation you donā€™t put fuel in and burn anything.

A marvellous achievement :mini:

1 Like

And so it should be Ripple, itā€™s costing the residents a fortune on their energy bills. I thought ā€˜sustainableā€™ energy was supposed to be cheaper! Pity about the poor thoughā€¦
:frowning:

The other alternative is do nothing and pity us all

Iā€™m not saying that Ripple, but weā€™ve all been conned. The various governments (including ours) should have considered where all the energy was going to come from when they closed down coal and gas fired power stations before they had put in alternative means of generation.
They are even encouraging us to use more electricity with the scrapping of gas boilers and the introduction of electric vehiclesā€¦
Thereā€™s going to be a heck of a lot of trouble in the futureā€¦

Mr fox. I like calling you Mr Fox ā€¦Iā€™m sure the horse and cart fans had similar misgivingsā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s what the article is about. They recognize this, and are looking for next steps. Storage is one of the next steps, and consumers using solar also helps out by taking some load off the grid and adding to the power supply.

They also mention in the article that this achievement happened when one of the water sources was in drought. Using multiple energy sources allows for one to be low at any given time.

1 Like

Thank you Ripple, it feels rather comfortingā€¦ :blush:
We might actually be going back to those ā€˜Horse and Cartā€™ days sooner than you thinkā€¦
:horse:

i think it would do no harm to look back, consider the power achieved by the water wheel perhaps i should have mentioned that to the bright spark who thought up the Thames Barrier it screams water turbines, they could be sited every ten miles, i wonder how advanced could todays engineers design the water wheelā€¦
the coal is still there and should remain there until a cleaner healthier method of using it comes along, when i started at the pit about 1960 the instructors warned me that in twenty years it would all be machines down the pit no menā€¦lolā€¦ and in 1960 two thirds of my training involved horsesā€¦