Soup time! What's your favorite soup?

It’s not quite THAT thick but, yes, it’s a lot thicker than what is usually served up here. It’s more like a vegetable pasata if anything.

4 Likes

I made easy peasy tomato with my cheap passsata

Fry up some finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil with some smoked paprika, a pinch of chilli powder, dried thyme and fresh basil. Add a jar of passata and a cup of veggie stock made with half a stockpot cube. Simmer for 15 minutes then serve up topped with a spoonful of cream, some chopped pine nuts and fresh chopped basil :tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

3 Likes

Oh yes!
I love fresh basil, and fresh oregano :+1:

2 Likes

I tend not to eat Soup. Although how anyone can eat a liquid I am not sure. But several years ago I went into a local pub for a meal & they had cabbage soup on the menu. Cabbage is one of my favourite vegetables, so I just had to have some & it was lovely. Thick, creamy & it tasted wonderful.

In my 20’s I spent a few months working in Spain. And they serve a Tomato soup which tastes so different to ours. It’s thick & like liquidised tomatoes. Our tomato soup tastes viel. And since that summer I do very occasionally buy a couple of tins of peeled tomatoes & make my own soup by liquidising them.

1 Like

A nice thick lamb and veg soup …or Cawl as we in Wales call it :+1:

1 Like

Heinz Tomato soup for me.

2 Likes

I like Heinz too! I grate some cheese on mine

2 Likes

This is one of my favourites that someone put on a forum years ago, it’s very nice

peeled and chopped onion
crushed garlic
peeled and chopped ginger
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 stems lemon grass, bruised and chopped
400ml can coconut milk
Hot water
Juice of one lime

Fry up the onion, garlic, ginger and lemon grass for 5 minutes.

Then add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 3 minutes

Add enough water to cover all the veg then simmer it for about 20 minutes

Then put in the coconut milk and liquidise it until it’s nice and smooth

Serve it up with some lime juice stirred through

1 Like

I made a very nice soup this week :

two chicken legs
fried bacon lardons
three potatoes
I large carrot
half a sweetheart cabbage (braised)
one chopped onion (braised until well browned)
one chicken stock cube

slowcooked for hours until the chicken is really tender

Pork spare ribs are also a very nice base ingredient for a hearty stew

I make a very yummy tomato soup using 8-10 tomatoes chopped with 1 onion and a third of a pack of butter - cover with boiled water and slow cook until tomatoes are full cooked and butter has completely melted

Separately boil two chicken legs with one sliced carrot, I stick celery and on peeled and chopped parsnip, chicken stock, salt to taste

Once the tomato mix is ready puree with a blender, remove the celery, parsnip and chicken bones/gristle (but leave cooked chicken) and pour in the tomato mixture into the broth. Serve with boiled rice. You can add a sprinkle of fresh dill and a swirl of cream if you are feeling decadent.

2 Likes

Oooh, they both sound nice and the weather is turning colder…soup season!

1 Like

I actually bout a packet of cupa soup at the beginning of winter, it is still unopened.

1 Like

I bet it was minestrone

No, just Mushroom and croutons from memory. Doesn’t minestrone have veggies in it? I don’t eat vegetables.

#vegetableliberation

1 Like

Why do they sell mushrooms in the veggie section of the supermarket?

The more important thing you might well ask why they sell fruits as veggies? eg pumpkin, tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant etc.

1 Like

Becasue if they only had a “fun guy” section, nobody would buy anything from anywhere else in the supermarket…

:joy:

1 Like

I’ve just had a veg cup-a-soup … nice with cheese sandwich.

2 Likes

I have soup simmering just now…just a myraid of spices, veg and chickpeas, delicious! :+1:

3 Likes

A very nice soup today - brussels sprouts, chopped carrot, potato, parsnip, butter-braised onion & leek, 2 cubes of kallo organic chicken stock, 1/2 cup of red lentils (rinsed). The original recipe recommended chopped celery, cream, no onion and a sprinkle of fresh parsley, but I did my own thing and it was very hearty and yummy.

I hadn’t thought of cooking a soup with brussels sprouts before, but they are just fabulous as an ingredient and healthy too.

2 Likes

I find Heinze soup too sweet these days.
I buy Sainsburys Lentil and bacon/Basil and tomatoe and Chicken and mushroom.
All with a cheese sarny.

1 Like