Sometimes even Native Animals need relief

Australian summers are notoriously hot. Droughts can last for years in certain areas.
Koalas do not normally drink water per se, there is usually enough moisture in the Eucalyptus Leaves they eat.
Drought conditions force the trees to conserve water as well. Drawing a lot of the water in the leaves back into the trunk.
This Koala was most grateful for a drink.

3 Likes

They are in danger of becoming an endangered species too.

1 Like

The way they are treated by successive governments I believe they will become functionally extinct in the wild. Population will need to be added to from captive breeding programs. Disgraceful state of affairs.

1 Like

I am sure I read somewhere that you should not give water to Koalas from a bottle, I don’t know if that applies to hoses and I can’t remember the reason.

1 Like

I have not heard that myself but maybe most tap water is fluorinated.
But such a rare occurrence should have no effect on the Koalas.

It took a while but I found something about it, I don’t think this is the original article I read but I couldn’t find that.

Unrelated - I thought this article on Koala’s drink habits was interesting

1 Like

Very interesting. The Koala in the video I posted was lapping the water, so no problem there.
The more that is learnt about Koala behaviour the better the chances of humans saving them from extinction.

1 Like