Somerset Gimp

Have you heard of the Somerset Gimp? It’s some weirdo who’s been creeping around in a gimp suit, frightening people around Yatton for three years now

Anyway, some lads caught him on video and an arrests been made. The police are worried there may be more than one person at it, and there are copycats

I wasn’t sure what they could charge him with?

So being a bit slow on the uptake, I asked my husband if the gimp waved his Willy around at people :scream:

He cracked up “well, I don’t expect so, how would he get it out of that rubber suit?” :rofl:

In the video, it said public nuisance. If someone was frightened by him, it could probably be assault, although I don’t know your laws there.

1 Like

In UK,
An assault is any act (and not mere omission to act) by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to suffer or apprehend immediate unlawful violence.

If this rubber-suited individual ran up to a person and punched his fists towards them or acted as if he was about to hit them or attack them, I guess that may be assault, even if he didn’t actually touch them.

However, if he was doing what was described as “grunting, flopping to the floor and writhing” in front of them, that probably would not fit the crime of assault - he does sound like a public nuisance though!

I imagine if I met him on a dark night in the street when I was on my own, I may think he was going to attack me and it would frighten me. Even just seeing him writhing on the pavement would scare me, as I wouldn’t know what he was going to do next - if I hurried away, would he follow me?

If the man they have caught really is the same man who has been doing this for years, I hope he gets some help for whatever is causing this strange and anti-social behaviour.

1 Like

Your definition of assault differs from the one in this article and the one I’m familiar with under US law.

Putting someone in fear of violence as you note you would feel is enough to be charged with assault.

https://lawi.org.uk/assault/

He, ( I’m assuming he, hard to tell in a rubber suit) was definitely very creepy. He has a history of looking in peoples windows, lying in their gardens, walking towards them with arms outstretched in the street

But not physical harm, although at least 6ft tall, so scary

The problem at the moment is that the police think there maybe lots of copycats, doing it for a laugh, fame online and maybe to sell photos for a couple of bob?

But, yes, if this is the one whose been doing it for years, he does need some help/therapy

Slightly different wording but the meaning seems about the same to me.
I copied my wording from the UK Crown Prosecution Services website

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offences-against-person-incorporating-charging-standard

1 Like

Sorry,I think that is a “ Ridiculous “ stunt!!..if I saw that ,I would probably have a heart attack or a stroke on the spot!!..

Some never seen to think of the consequences that could cause…mind you, I’ve pulled some ridiculous stunts in my lifetime.

I know it’s only meant as fun,:sweat_smile:…or is it?

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s a joke or fun? I think it might be a pervert?

Why a pervert?

I can’t see him/ her flashing ,can you?

1 Like

That’s what my son said! :joy: Hard work to get it out with that rubber suit on!

But “gimps” and “gimp suits” are traditionally associated with bondage, BDSM, submissive and kinky sex. Think Pulp Fiction!

And one person said he was fondling his groin :nauseated_face:

1 Like

He’s obviously not getting enough attention!..certainly not “ positive “ anyway…I’ve done some really silly stuff in my 30s…yes, and a mother of three!!..my middle son, has taken after me!!..I couldn’t even post the stunts he has pulled, I’d be banned…:open_mouth::open_mouth:

1 Like

Mmmm, but has he worn bondage fetish gear and rolled around in someone’s garden or stared through their windows? :rofl:

Maree, we had a young girl on WCC, who was into that…BDSM, I had to look it up, we’ve been having a three way discussion about it, without judging her, …poor girl, horrific what she has been caught up in, :open_mouth:

1 Like

It’s all pretty grim and gimp suits are associated with that, hence the pervert thing?

1 Like

Oh really, I never knew that,…I couldn’t repeat what she has shared with us, plus I wouldn’t want to betray her confidence, she was at such a vulnerable age, when she got into it, a much older man she got involved with, I couldn’t believe what he did and how he treated her…

It’s at times like that, that I was thankful living a very sheltered life growing up.

1 Like

a slippery customer one officer said, a bit of a slime ball