Some Feathered Visitors

I get a few parrots popping in for a feed. The Rainbow Lorikeets are aggressive little buggers whereas the Sulphur Crested Parrot is a gentle but persistent fellow. Sometimes he climbs on the window’s fly screen and bangs on the glass. These are a few shots when I happened to have my camera with me while I was sitting outside. The smaller birds usually bully him but this is one of those rare occasions he warns them.

Alas not on the same scale as Rhinos but cute enough.

7 Likes

@Bruce :icon_cool: very cute Bruce …and intelligent…

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this, parrots are my favourite birds, so intelligent and comical, full of mischief and fun.

You really are so lucky to have this on your doorstep to film, I really envy you.

Have you heard the cockatoos scream? They really have some lungs on them

1 Like

Oh yes, my only complaint about all parrots they look so pretty but all they do is screech.

1 Like

I wonder why they do that. The Mulloccans are deafening, . Do you get major Mitchell’s? They are stunning

1 Like

Not where I live, they inhabit the central west of NSW and I have seen them when travelling near Bourke (they are not exclusive to NSW but that is where I last saw one).

The most common parrots where I live are Sulphur Crests, Long Beaked Corellas and the ubiquitous Galahs. Rainbow Lorikeets are taking over suburbia.

My personal favourites are the Willy Wagtails and Magpies, the song of the latter (along with the cicada) is the sound of Australia to me - the little bastards will be out soon in force.

1 Like

That was a joy to watch, I loved the way that Parrot de shelled those sunflower hearts within seconds, quite a privilege to be able to watch all of that wildlife that you have in Australia.