Social Prescriptions, including walking, wheeling and cycling, will be offered by GPs

Prescriptions for cycling coming to Nottingham

Social prescriptions, including walking, wheeling and cycling, will be offered by GPs as part of a new trial to improve mental and physical health and reduce disparities across the country, the government has announced today (22 August 2022).

The government has awarded £12.7 million in multi-year funding to 11 local authority areas in England. The funding will go towards several pilot projects in each location, including:

• adult cycle training
  • free bike loans
  • walking groups

Other schemes include all-ability cycling taster days where people who may not have cycled before can try to in a friendly environment, or walking and cycling mental health groups where people can connect with their communities as they get active.

The pilots must be delivered alongside improved infrastructure so people feel safe to cycle and walk.

The 11 local authority areas that will trial social prescriptions are:

Bath and North East Somerset
Bradford
Cornwall
Cumbria
Doncaster
Gateshead
Leeds
Nottingham
Plymouth
Suffolk
Staffordshire
2 Likes

Great, I hope it’s rolled out far and wide.

What if you are a wheelchair user though? or have mobility issues? I hope they have inclusive things for them as well…

Ive always thought being out doors helped to lift ones mood , Thats why I walk and use to cycle .
And ive been looking at buying another bike , for when I go on holiday . A fold up bike can be put in the Boot of a car or in the luggage rack of a Bus Train …

1 Like

Well they could include a carer to go along and push the wheel chair , most of the groups are free anyway .
I do know someone who has a Gym pass from the GP , this person had knee problems , its sort of like Physio they went on a Bike there .

1 Like

I agree so much about being outdoors, no matter your physical ability (or difficulty). I often see older people just sitting outside on their garden walls, or in the park feeding the birds. Just happy moments in nature.

Well thats brilliant! I think if you aren’t mobile “enough” it makes you lose confidence, so you end up not really doing much. I do hope this scheme takes off.

1 Like

I’ve been threatening to start getting out and walking again. I stopped doing it because I got bored or something. Think I shall bite the bullet and do it.

2 Likes

Listen to music while you do it, or plan a walk that ends with coffee & cake. Or challenge yourself to take more steps than you did yesterday. Or set yourself a goal whereby you can’t turn home until you spot a certain amount of “birds, street signs, chimneys, graffiti, etc

2 Likes

sometimes we can get in a rut and find excuses not to go out , I know im guilty of that .When I do go i feel so much better for it .
No need to go out every day , to start with try every other day , I think PK’s idea of setting a goal is a great Idea. Go for it Dave , :walking_man:

1 Like

My local authority (town and district obscured) run a range of activities:

1 Like

I could do with a free weekend in Brighton.

But are they FREE Omah ?

We have “Walk for Health” Strollers groups in this area of North Yorkshire - it is a free group - an initiative which was started by the region’s Primary Health Care Trust, with walks taking place in the market town and quite a number of the surrounding villages.
The Walks are led by trained volunteers and Walkers usually meet up at their local GP surgeries or some other central point.

They encourage anyone to join the walks, but especially people;

• who do not feel they are quick enough or strong enough to walk in a regular walking group.
  • returning to walking after illness or a period of inactivity.
  • with health conditions which would benefit from moderate exercise. Heart conditions, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, depression, mental health problems, high blood pressure and those recommended by their doctor.
  • who would just like some company to make walking and exercise a more enjoyable social activity.
  • with health risks due to inactive lifestyles.

Walks last about an hour but a thirty-minute starter walk option is available on the majority of the walks.

All the walks are risk assessed, led and supported by trained volunteer walk leaders. The walks are over flat ground with no stiles and are usually around the streets and pathways.

It has been going for quite a few years now - I have often seen the Strollers group in my village setting off from the little car park outside the local GP Surgery and Co-Op shop. They look like a small group of folk with mixed abilities of all ages, some use walking aids.

1 Like

I think thats a good idea , a Stroller group , I use to be in a village walking group , but over time i couldnt keep up , a much slower or even less time would appeal to me , A 1hour walk would be ideal .

I have been thinking of going along to one of these Stroller walks, to see what they are like.

I used to be a keen walker and would go for 20 mile hikes over the Yorkshire Moors or Dales two or three times a week.
Unfortunately, since I got ill with Covid in early 2020, I haven’t had the lung capacity or the stamina to walk very far and I’ve got very unfit.
I’ve tried doing short walks on my own but it’s a bit boring when you can’t get out into the hills and the wild countryside, so I’m thinking that maybe joining in these walks and having a bit of company en route may give me a bit of a kick start to get out walking again.

1 Like

The walking, cycling and parkrun are. Most of the disability friendly sports and activities are. Many of the rest have only nominal charges or discounts.

I was referred a free health activity program run by the local authority some years ago.

1 Like

i think when you have been ill , it will take some time to build upto that fitness again .So start off small and in a few months time you could be walking the moors again …

1 Like