Sniffing body odour is tested as an anxiety therapy

Scientists are testing the idea that smelling other people’s sweat calms people with social anxiety.

I hope it works for them but I’m not up for it. Eww!!!

1 Like

I haven`t read such crap in a long time.
I would heave my stomach up.
And feel stressed big time.

2 Likes

How revolting is that.

1 Like

don’t they wear anti-perspirant in Sweden?

1 Like

Well, if it works it’s not to be Sniffed At. :icon_wink:

5 Likes

Just whiff of body odour would set my nerves on edge :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Cant beat a good fresh dose of pheromones to get the circulation going :wink::+1:

1 Like

Anti-perspirant is undesirable as it blocks pores which could lead to all sorts of problems. Now a good deodorant is a much better proposition and I do like Estee Lauder’s Youth Dew.
Estée Lauder | The Perfume Shop

I guess that is why shoe sales staff seem to be so happy, I always thought they were on drugs, seems like it was socks all the time…

2 Likes

Just a thought …

So how come people are more irritable in hot weather when they’re all icky and sweaty ?..
Shouldn’t they all be happy and tranquilly after inhaling each others rank odour ?

perhaps the human brain can only do one thing at a time. A bit like when you can’t sneeze and have your eyes open? You can’t feel anxious when you are throwing up from smelling rancid sweat?

1 Like

Isn’t having a bath supposed to be relaxing? Plenty of soap under the armpits, then the anxiety starts, when you have to “pull the plug”. :icon_wink:

Just yuck, but I supposed that’s the reaction years of civilisation has programmed into us?

Sometimes we forget that we’re animals really, far more reliant on our senses and primitive instincts than we acknowledge. And we’re tribal, we live far more isolated lives now than nature intended

So yes, I can understand a baby recognising it’s mother’s smell, maybe sweat and smells do contain pheromones and signals that trigger something in our brain to recognise we are among are own and not alone? And therefore comfort the depressed?

It’s a theory, anyway, but I think I’ll take my chances with the isolation! :rofl:

2 Likes

There is definitely a smell that comes off anxious or scared people. I have smelled it on kids taking exams.

It is often mentioned in novels too …. The scent of fear.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true and aren’t dogs and other animals supposed to be able to know if people are afraid of them?

Maybe researchers should get a proper job?
Pear’s glycerine soap and a tube of Euthymol :grinning:

We touch our face so we can sniff our hands, apparently!

1 Like

2 Likes