Snapchat's flying selfie drone

The little yellow drone, called Pixy, is described by the company as a “free-flying sidekick” which can help people take selfies without a selfie stick.

The gadget is available in France and the US, where the laws are more lenient around the use of drones than the UK.

It comes as several social media giants are stepping up their hardware and Augmented Reality (AR) offering.

The Pixy operates on its own, taking video as it flies, which is then wirelessly transferred and saved in the app.

At the end of the flight, the selfie drone lands in the palm of your hand.

Just what we need … a device to propagate even more selfies … :roll_eyes:

Looks good on paper. I can see several drawbacks though First of all getting the angle and height correct for a selfie. Second no control as to where it flies. A bit of wind and it is useless I suspect

1 Like

At least folks will now be able to see for themselves is their Bum looks big in something :smiley:

spying made easy - night school studies 101 - I do hope there are laws against this sorta drivel?

Lordie, how vain would you have to be?

Is it accurate enough to fly between your legs, because the way pictures disappear off Snapchat means there are a lot of people sending out dick pics!

Also, I’d think the pervos could use it for upskirting

Here’s looking at you kiddo!

As long as they can’t match up a person to the genitals why worry Maree?
People don’t seem to mind on ‘Naked Attraction’ … :astonished:
We gave up the right to complain about having our picture taken (from any angle) when we allowed CCTV to be installed in just about every public space there is.

1 Like

That’s a nice looking piece of kit Bruce…
:+1:

It’s 249grams, so designed to be under the 250 grams (I think that is right) when a licence is needed.

It was handy at the beginning of the 2019/20 bushfires to inspect my gutters for debris.

I haven’t taken a selfie with it yet but that may come :wink:

Awesome Bruce! I wish my video quality and control was as good as yours…
I’ll keep practicing, but without a smartphone with wifi I don’t think I can get decent quality video.
:+1:

To be honest these things are brilliant they have built in GPS and do everything they can to stay exactly where they are until they receive a new command. Mine is much cleverer than its operator.

For example taking off, you just tell it to take off and it rises to 2 metres and waits for the next command. When you want it to land you have to tell it because otherwise it won’t let anything get near it, if you put your hand underneath it it will automatically rise to avoid it.

If it loses the signal it rises to a prearranged height (set by you) and returns to where it started from then descends and lands all by itself.

It can take still photos or videos with a gimbal controlled 1080p camera so its pictures are very steady no matter what the drone is doing.

It is a lot of fun. My son gave it to me I want to use it when travelling but really haven’t had the opportunity yet.

1 Like