Smart elephants - in Cambodia steal sugar cane from trucks at elephant crossings

This elephant has figured out how to get sweet treats from passing trucks. Everyone driving seems used to it.

2 Likes

I love that, elephant highwaymen!

Stand and deliver :rofl:

1 Like

I love the way that the elephants take only a small amount of sugar cane from each truck, then let the drivers carry on with their journey!
I notice there is a cautionary road sign to warn there is an elephant crossing, which is useful to warn drivers to be alert.

I have travelled through a few countries where there’s wild elephants and seen them following long-established routes to sources of food and water - one night we were awoken at about 2 am in our tented camp on an organised walking trip in Kenya by a herd of elephants coming past our tent to the lake at the bottom of the hill.
We heard them trumpeting and crashing through the undergrowth, which sounded scarily close to our tent and when we tentatively ventured outside to see what was happening, we saw they were not very far from the line of tents but they were all following the same straight line down to the lake and not venturing towards our tents at all.
It was a marvellous sight.

The most unusual elephant crossing I have heard of is the famous Mfuwe Lodge in Zambia - the Lodge was built next to a wild mango tree which was on an ancient elephant route, so the elephants turn up every year to use their old route to get to the mango tree when the fruit is ripe for eating, The elephants won’t be diverted from the most direct route, so the hotel has built the hotel reception hall in a way that accommodates the elephants’ annual visits!
Some friends of mine have stayed there in October and said it was amazing to see the elephants walking through the hotel reception to get to the fruit.

1 Like

These elephants in India were a bit greedier and held up the traffic for much longer, while Mummy elephant fed her baby from the sugar cane truck - she is passing on her Highway robbing skills to the next generation - that guy who got so close to take a selfie with his mobile phone had better watch out - next learning curve will be when the baby elephants start nicking our mobiles to place the sugar cane truck orders via Deliveroo ! :joy:

2 Likes