Slow zoom issues

One problem I found was doing a slow zoom . Hand holding the camcorder creates too much camera shake . Just having the camcorder on a tripod still creates the same as you have to have a hand on the magnification switch. Using a wired remote control is one option but a better one is a wireless remote control.

So tried it out with the rig I have. i could have slowed it down even more in editing but this is as taken straight from the camcorder using the remote button half pressed

I think this is far better than just a stills photograph, but that is just my opinion. sound needed a "dead cat " to cut out wind noise

I didn’t hear the wind, RS, just birdsong - which was lovely. Nice zooming effect too! :smiley:

do any members make videos as well

I would love to see other members videos on here. I am sure there must be a few that make them

Indeed it is, realspeed. I could feel the tension increasing as we zoomed into that flower. When we were right up close, I half expected an Alien creature to burst out of it and attach itself to my face. :eek:

Thank you both for the nice comments. One thing I did find out is that if zoomed right in before starting the video, getting the centre of the flower in the middle of the frame first then zoom out. Then when actually recording one knows where the end of the video will be.
I have a great method called trial and error and if it takes several goes to get it right it doesn’t show in the end product

All I can think of is that your lawn needs mowing :slight_smile:

:lol::lol:

That slow zoom is much, much better.

Thank you all again. It does make me wonder, ok it is my “thing” at the moment, why people stay with just taking photographs. Yes I am just as guilty but at least I do diverse into videos quite a bit as well.

Just thinking of videos of grandchildren running about instead of them just standing there for example. Must be beter surely and with portable storage memory availeable showing others would be more interesting.

I have videos of my granchildren in a pool when we were in Brazil and how nice it is to see how they were back then. Won’t show them as it they are family and perverts are everywhere

It gives you lovely memories, RS, and video does capture more of the moment than a photograph. I think it depends on context, as to whether photo or video is appropriate at the time. You seem to be enjoying yourself, which is all that matters - and I’m enjoying learning a bit about the kit and techniques, so thank you :smiley:

I think you may be surprised at the price you can get one for as a tryout

Starting at well under £30 new isn’t going to break the bank. Good way to start to see if one likes making videos. Just add a SD 90MB/s card

Thank you for that info RS…I will keep it for future use. I am quite time poor at the moment for taking on a new hobby such as this - I have a drone that I haven’t been able to take out since I got it at Christmas, so I might try to take some video footage with that when I can. However, I am pleasantly surprised at how cheap these camcorders are, so its definitely going on the list! Thanks :smiley:

PK sent you a PM for your eyes only. It will make you smile. just one of the Scottish memories of mine

The trouble with video is that you can’t hang it on the wall.

If I can just mention that if considering ever? getting a camcorder what I overlooked as most will is how to slow zoom. Ok even with the camcorder on a tripod as soon as any switch is touched creates camera shake. The answer is a wireless remote control that allows this function. Sony make a tabletop tripod with that function which is useless using anywhere else. Finding a remote for any particular camcorder is not easy even if there is one for that make you choose. Just thought it was worth a heads up mention again