Slow cooker costs?

Thanks Butterscotch! It does look like something I could use, for sure. Sadly its out of my budget over here because on UK Amazon, its the equivalent of $220!!! :scream:

I’ll see if I can find a cheaper version - I do like the rice cooking, and also the oatmeal bit. :+1: Arrrgh the choices.

1 Like

I like a good old saucepan for veg soup, chicken curry, bol sauces etc … batch cooking.

Other stuff is Quick Cooked in a small pan or wok.

I don’t do gadgets. But I do love my Dualit mini oven. Perfect when cooking for 2.

Last night I cooked duck breasts, started in a frying pan on the hob, then went under a hot grill for 5 mins.

2 Likes

Dood, that is what I use, mine is Cookworks. Had to replace it recently, use it almost every day.

Still like my slow cooker for winter casseroles.

2 Likes

I’ve just been looking on Amazon, there’s quite a range available to suit all budgets.
I really am tempted, a mini oven could be a very practical item to have in the kitchen since there’s just the two of us.

1 Like

Hmm… I’ve just been looking at the 20 litre model, 78 quid in Argos.
I guess you found it to be pretty decent if you’re getting another?

1 Like

I haven’t found they are like mush any more than they would be in a casserole in the oven. Same sort of nutritional content as any other soup cooking method and if you are making chicken soup then the juices have longer to stew. It’s certainly great for soups. It’s just that in the oven you might burn the sides more & have more caramelization. For me it’s a compromise to save power and still have nice homecooked food. The only downside I have found is the slowness of the slow cooking. But the upside of it is that you don’t have to worry that you’ve left a pot on the stove or in the oven as it would have to be on 24 hrs to start cremating the contents.

We have an air fryer that does everything, bakes, roasts, “air fries”, even dehydrates. Bought on special offer for £59

I have an air fryer and it’s very useful for certain tasks.
The only issue is the relatively small surface area at the bottom of the pan, it’s fine if you want to pile in some chips for example but I’m not sure that doing the same with a packet of sausages would be a success although I’ve yet to try.

I quite often make roast chickpeas in the air fryer as a delicious savory snack. I’m not a big fan of gimmicks in the kitchen but the mini oven/grill combo seems the way to go.
Given that energy prices are going to be a bit of a horror story this winter I’ll try and avoid using the fan oven with out good reason.

I would never cook cabbage or cauliflower in a casserole. Leeks you could just about get away with but only for flavour. Spinach would also go to mush. Overcooked veggies …… ewwww, too much like school dinners! :rofl:

1 Like

Isn’t that an electric pressure cooker? My PC sits on the gas hob and is also very quick and efficient.

Now look what you lot have done, you’ve got me looking at kitchen gadgets and I’m NOT ALLOWED!

But I’m tempted by this one that does lots of stuff, mainly because it looks like an electric cauldron and would look good on the counter top!

1 Like

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just spotted a giant boo boo on the Amazon blurb got that one! :rofl:

It says the pot is dishwasher safe. In other words you take the ceramic pot off and dish wash it

But this silly moo looks as if she’s putting the electric in! :rofl:

3 Likes

Oops!
Have you thought about contacting Amazon and letting them know?
They might give you a free voucher :wink:

It is a bit more versatile than that and it heats from the inside so it doesn’t radiate a lot of heat. Your gas hob heats from the outside which is less efficient.

1 Like

I have this Maree. It is very versatile, the only concern is that the copper plating isn’t that robust and I can see it tarnishing or peeling after excessive use. It’s great for frying something and then going to slow cook mode. I think I’ve used it for steaming too. That is good value as I paid nearly 80 squids.

Good to know - I didn’t realise and wash it by hand!

The one we have has a big pan that is also deep. You can bake a cake in it too. (I haven’t been brave enough to try that yet)

This is the model I have bought then on 1/2 price special offer

https://instantbrands.co.uk/shop-all-products/vortex-plus-6-in-1-air-fryer/?fbclid=IwAR2A2EAr45wAWFr1IsSRcPe0DRAJ7Xl1wXLZgXiqB_qA8z2uKTtgJ4c_S5g

Charity shops are full of slow cookers. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that’s a larger and more sophisticated unit than mine
I have a Salter 3.2 litre fryer, I think cost about fifty quid.

1 Like

This one was £59