Sky News UK - Rishi Sunak mocked in leaked WhatsApps as grassroots Tories vow to 'go to war' with party's liberals

Sky News UK - Rishi Sunak mocked in leaked WhatsApps

Grassroots Conservative supporters are saying they want to oust Rishi Sunak and “go to war” with the liberal wing of the party in leaked WhatsApp messages obtained by Sky News.

The discussions were amongst members of the Conservative Democratic Organisation (CDO), founded in December 2022 by donor and Johnson-backer Lord Peter Cruddas after the ousting of Boris Johnson and Liz Truss.

The group has had high profile support from senior figures on the right of the Conservative Party. Its conference in May featured speeches from Priti Patel, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nadine Dorries.

The leaked WhatsApps show the vitriol among some of its members aimed at Mr Sunak, little expectation of victory in the general election and a desire to take back control of the Tory party for the right, post-election. Some of the screenshots suggest a handful of members believe in conspiracies, referring to “globalists” and a WEF government - a reference to the World Economic Forum held in Davos - which some conspiracy theorists believe to be home of a secretive world government which benefits elites.

The WhatsApp messages, almost all this year and some from the last few weeks, show:

• Members of the group mocking Mr Sunak, one saying he has the charisma of a “doorknob”. Another says he is “uninspiring” and saying the “govt can’t get anything right”, and characterise it as a party of “globalists”.

• Members of the CDO believe that Sunak, who voted for Brexit, is governing like a “remainer”. “CDO needs to rethink Rishi and pals, remainers have a firm hold on the party”, says an activist. Another says: “It’s no longer a conservative government I would vote for.”

• Some calling on them to remove Mr Sunak before the election, others hoping for a return of Boris Johnson. Others think an election will help Conservatives “find out who their voters are and rebuild from there”.

• The group also criticises Mr Sunak’s cabinet. During the reshuffle earlier this month, one queried Grant Shapps’ appointment to the defence brief. “I just don’t find Shapps credible. Certainly not to take over the mantle from Wallace who was beyond excellent.” Another calls him a “crony appointment; Jack of all trades, master of none.”

Some CDO WhatsApp members see a conspiracy behind the poor performance from the Tories. One says: "No party can be this incompetent on purpose. It’s got to be by design. And the only conclusion I can come to of why they would do this, is that they are all bought and paid for, same for Labour and the other cretins in parliament. “Someone is pulling the strings to turn our country into a third world s**thole”.

Of course, the CDO’s are grassroots supporters only but, as we know, a faction within the Tory Party can, unexpectedly, take control of the party and the country … :expressionless:

Hi

In my opinion, it is much more serious than that.

Around 60 Tory MPs have joined a group opposing him and his policies.

They are very right wing and are supporters of Truss and her policies.

There is also a group wanting Boris back.

It seems that they are more interested in playing politics than running the country

3 Likes

A sign of a party that has been in power too long?

I bet deep down they don’t like ‘dark skins’ running the party?

2 Likes

I know it’s only pre-election promises but I like some of the things Rishi (notice that I’m calling him Rishi now and not Sunak) has been saying in the recent speech he gave at the conference in Manchester. Of course I would never vote conservative, but if he goes one step further and prevents the waste of money spent on the war in Ukraine I might be persuaded…

But we aren’t wasting money in ukraine foxy, it would be better if he recouped the wasted money from the ppe scandal

1 Like

It is in my opinion Primus. Zelensky is as bent as a butchers hook and it’s a war that nobody will win.