Shingles Vaccine and Chickenpox

I had ocular shingles, so it started in the eye, I was extremely lucky they caught it in time, I could have gone blind, plus many more problems, Thank God I got through it, with no lasting after affects.

Acute retinal necrosis.

I don’t think that is right, to get Shingles you have to have previously had Chicken Pox if you haven’t had Chicken Pox you can’t get shingles because Shingles is caused by the Chicken Pox virus which never leaves your body.

I had Chicken Pox as a child and have received my Shingles shot a few years ago.

1 Like

Shingles can also keep flaring up as well…thankfully I only had that one episode, I would never want to go through that again.

You will likely be fine Muddy, it’s a precautionary vaccine. Chicken pox is the varicella-Zoster virus which you never get shot off once you have been infected. It lies dormant somewhere in the spine area and in most people never resurfaces as Herpes Zoster ( shingles). As people age immunity reduces and it can cause unnecessary complication and pain in those already seriously ill. All the herpes viruses are nasty because they never leave the body. I recall a colleague being shocked & embarrassed when in her forties she suddenly had a cold sore on her lip. This was after developing problems with her thyroid which had led to a dip in her immunity. Interesting that only some people go on to have outbreaks.

I have never has Chicken Pox (why is it called that ?) but I have had Shingles and would not wish it on my worst enemy!

Extract from Wikipedia seems its origin is un certain

Etymology[edit]

How the term chickenpox originated is not clear but it may be due to it being a relatively mild disease.[15] It has been said to be derived from chickpeas, based on resemblance of the vesicles to chickpeas,[15][79][80] or to come from the rash resembling chicken pecks.[80] Other suggestions include the designation chicken for a child (i.e., literally ‘child pox’), a corruption of itching-pox,[79][81] or the idea that the disease may have originated in chickens.[82] Samuel Johnson explained the designation as “from its being of no very great danger”.[83]

Deleted - Chiliie beat me to it - the little rascal!

1 Like

Hi Muddy.
I’d accept it if I were you.
It generally hits you and knocks you for six if your immune system is low; if you’re recovering from a different virus, or if you’re unusually low or stressed/anxious.
You don’t argue with Shingles, it’s an awful illness.

1 Like

My Dad had shingles he was really poorly he was about 75-76 at the time it left him poorly for ages his was in his leg he lost all feeling from is left knee downwards he could still stand and walk but could not feel where his foot was or any feeling he had a massive splinter in his foot and never noticed after that we took to checking his leg feet toes etc daily or twice daily. Horrible thing to have.

Got mine booked for the end of this month.
I remember my brother having Shingles as a teen, he had a rash all around his chest & back & was in agony from it, so no way would I not have it.

chickens do get something that looks like chickpox

1 Like

I’m so glad this subject came up - I’ve just checked my iPhone calendar and it’s not booked for early October, it’s for this coming Tuesday!! Mind you, the phone would have pinged to remind me the day before, but I’m glad to know now so I don’t make any other plans!

2 Likes

My ex-mother-in-law had shingles that badly she had to go into hospital. The pain, alone, was that bad she was put on a morphine drip.

I had a very mild dose of shingles but it was damned itchy and kept me awake for a few nights until the prescribed antiviral tablets (the size of gob stoppers :lol:) started to work.

Have the jab Muddy.

2 Likes

I had shingles when I was 50 exactly 6 weeks after turning and it was on my face. It took 2 years too recover. I took nerve pain meds for 1.5 years. It did a lot of damage to my right eye. Thankfully my eye is ok now but that took 5 years of treatment. Drops and more drops. The pain was above and beyond childbirth. I was lucky though the nerve damage did not cause paralysis of my face. I had chicken pox as a kid btw and hives too. I remember thinking i am not paying for a vaccine. Dumbest thing I ever did. I highly recommend getting the shot. Here in Canada you have to pay for it. Which is 200.00 dollars. I have one small scar on my forehead. I was lucky I do not wish shingles on anyone…

1 Like

You lot have frightened the pants off me and I’m too late now to get the jab I think :frowning:

Never too late, just call the surgery and speak with the nurse.

1 Like

Just phone the surgery and say changed your mind or pop in when hubby goes. They really want you to have it. The vaccine does not prevent shingles but supposedly it reduces your risk of getting shingles, and. If you do go on to have the disease, your symptoms may be milder and the illness shorter.

Ok I gritted my teeth and had the shingle vac today , I am going to have to reward myself with a chocolate .:slight_smile:

Well done :+1: Go on, spoil yourself, have 2 chocklits. :grinning:

Well I did mean bar of ……