Shingles Vaccine and Chickenpox

Have been contacted re shingles vaccine .
I have decided not to take it Mr M is going too .
I had chicken pock some years ago hope I’m immune .

Mr B had a shingles jab a couple of years ago, and had no adverse effects. I’ve got mine booked for early October.

I’ve had ocular shingles, I asked if I could have the shingle vaccine, they said I’m to young I had to be over 70…Shingles is terrible…it’s really nasty…I could have gone blind, luckily I went to the doctor in time who sent me straight to hospital as an emergency.

I’ve had chicken pox obviously I was not immune, personally I would have the jab.

I’ve had chicken pox as a child and a few years back caught shingles.
Was quite painful but left no lasting effects. Have known it to cause nerve problems in some.

So basically you can still catch shingles although you’ve had chicken pox.

Oh shoot

chicken pox and shingles is the same virus, After chicken pox it lodges somewhere in your body and can flare up as shingles. Mine had lodged in my left elbow and wasnt too bad, I know someone who got it on her head, She was ill for months, It can flare up again.

1 Like

We both had our Shingles vaccination a few years ago. No bad reaction to it at all.

I have never had Chicken Pox but Mr Mags had. He has had two very bad and painful attacks of Shingles in past years so i’m afraid having had Chicken Pox doesn’t mean you are immune to it.

I had chicken pox as a child, it does not prevent shingles which I had a few years ago and would not wish on my worst enemy. The shingles pain was so bad I could not stand to wear clothes and had to wander around in a cotton nightdress for days. I was also left with postherpetic neuralgia and nerve pain in my spine that lasted years.

I have had the shingles vaccine now, I have no wish to have that awful condition again.

Muddy, I don’t want to scare you but I was really ill with ocular shingles, it was horrendous…I would have the jab personally.

I’ve has chicken pox has a child, plus shingles three times, the first shingles was blooming painful, the later ones just mild ones.

Mine was approaching my eye, luckily tablets managed to stop it.

I had ocular shingles, so it started in the eye, I was extremely lucky they caught it in time, I could have gone blind, plus many more problems, Thank God I got through it, with no lasting after affects.

Acute retinal necrosis.

I don’t think that is right, to get Shingles you have to have previously had Chicken Pox if you haven’t had Chicken Pox you can’t get shingles because Shingles is caused by the Chicken Pox virus which never leaves your body.

I had Chicken Pox as a child and have received my Shingles shot a few years ago.

1 Like

Shingles can also keep flaring up as well…thankfully I only had that one episode, I would never want to go through that again.

You will likely be fine Muddy, it’s a precautionary vaccine. Chicken pox is the varicella-Zoster virus which you never get shot off once you have been infected. It lies dormant somewhere in the spine area and in most people never resurfaces as Herpes Zoster ( shingles). As people age immunity reduces and it can cause unnecessary complication and pain in those already seriously ill. All the herpes viruses are nasty because they never leave the body. I recall a colleague being shocked & embarrassed when in her forties she suddenly had a cold sore on her lip. This was after developing problems with her thyroid which had led to a dip in her immunity. Interesting that only some people go on to have outbreaks.

I have never has Chicken Pox (why is it called that ?) but I have had Shingles and would not wish it on my worst enemy!

Extract from Wikipedia seems its origin is un certain

Etymology[edit]

How the term chickenpox originated is not clear but it may be due to it being a relatively mild disease.[15] It has been said to be derived from chickpeas, based on resemblance of the vesicles to chickpeas,[15][79][80] or to come from the rash resembling chicken pecks.[80] Other suggestions include the designation chicken for a child (i.e., literally ‘child pox’), a corruption of itching-pox,[79][81] or the idea that the disease may have originated in chickens.[82] Samuel Johnson explained the designation as “from its being of no very great danger”.[83]

Deleted - Chiliie beat me to it - the little rascal!

1 Like

Hi Muddy.
I’d accept it if I were you.
It generally hits you and knocks you for six if your immune system is low; if you’re recovering from a different virus, or if you’re unusually low or stressed/anxious.
You don’t argue with Shingles, it’s an awful illness.

1 Like

My Dad had shingles he was really poorly he was about 75-76 at the time it left him poorly for ages his was in his leg he lost all feeling from is left knee downwards he could still stand and walk but could not feel where his foot was or any feeling he had a massive splinter in his foot and never noticed after that we took to checking his leg feet toes etc daily or twice daily. Horrible thing to have.