Setting up new tablet for someone else - will they just need to enter their wifi password when they get home?

Please excuse what may be a silly question as I am not very technically minded. My sister is coming to visit me from another part of the country. She has never had a tablet and doesn’t know anything about them. I want to buy her one and set it up for her and show her the basics. So I will be using my broadband to set it up, with her email and apps etc. When she goes home, will it just be a question of talking her through going to settings, selecting WiFi, choosing her router from the list and putting in the router passcode? Or won’t it work if it’s been set up using my WiFi? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

2 Likes

I think all she needs to do when home is go to connections and choose her own wi fi and enter her wifi password. Yes you are correct.

But maybe there are other teccies who will help you further

What a lovely gift for your sister

2 Likes

Thank you susan. That’s what I thought, I just didn’t want to get it wrong and cause her problems!

1 Like

Hi @littleannie
It isn’t a stupid question but I think you have already got it sorted.
What you say is correct.

If you help your Sister set up the new tablet at your house, your Sister will be able to log onto to her own broadband when she goes home.

As you rightly say, all your Sis will need to do is log in to her own Broadband using her broadband password for the first time - after that, her device will usually log her into it automatically.

If you put the the Tablet WiFi Settings to automatically log into known networks but ask before logging into a new network, it will automatically log you into broadband networks you have used on that tablet before but it will not join a new network without asking you if you want to join an unknown network.
I think that is the best option to keep her safe from accidentally joining an unknown network without realising it.

When your Sister returns to your house for her next visit, her tablet should pick up your WiFi broadband and automatically log her into it while she is staying with you, then automatically find and log back into her own WiFi when she goes back home. (Assuming you haven’t changed your broadband password since her last visit)
That is what mine does when I take it with me on visits to stay with friends and family.

What a lovely gift you have arranged for your sister - not just the tablet itself but the thought and time you are putting into enabling her to enjoy using it.
What a lovely Sister you are,

1 Like

My technical information is as yours @littleannie but as the others have said what a fantastic gift and thought. Hope it work will she be joining here once up and running?

1 Like

Thank you Boot and Kazz for taking the trouble to reply. She is 80 and has just lost her husband, so she is coming to me for a break. She only has a very old laptop, no smartphone or smart TV. I am trying to drag her into the 21st century! I shall persuade her to join the site as everybody is so nice and helpful.

4 Likes

You will have to let us know if your sister joins us so we can give her a good welcome. xx

2 Likes

That’s kind of you Boot, thank you!

1 Like

Both Susan and Boot are correct Ann - all she’ll need to do is find her wifi from the list (usually under settings > wifi) and then enter her password. As Boot says it should then automatically log her in and also keep your own wifi’s details in case she comes back to visit you and then automatically log her in to that too. Usually the default settings work well.

Good luck, and I agree with everyone else, what a lovely thing to do! :023:

1 Like

There you are @littleannie the oracle of all things computer has spoken. LOL

2 Likes

Yes do let us know

1 Like

Thank you all for your kindness. x

3 Likes

I agree with all, no question is a stupid one. As far as setting up the tablet it’s pretty easy. I have a Amazon Kindle and there are prompts that appear that walks me through step by step. With the wi fi once you go to wi fi settings it will show your internet connection. Then there is a prompt to add the wi fi password to that connection. So when she is at your house, she can use yours then when she gets home log in to her internet connection. There is so much new tech. stuff that I can’t keep up. LOL. I have young adults in my home that helps me when I get stuck.

1 Like

Thank you Ann. I don’t have any trouble setting up a tablet. I have done 4 for myself and 3 for my husband over the years. It was just that I wasn’t sure about a new set up for somebody else using my wifi. Problem solved now.
I agree about new tech. I went into Currys last week. I couldn’t believe all the new stuff in every department. Oh how I crave one of the new gigantic TVs!
I think if we don’t keep looking at the new tech stuff we will get left behind and never catch up. I feel sorry for some of the very old people who are expected to cope with things. My mum could never understand that most phone calls are answered by a computer recording. She once complained bitterly to me that the young lady at the bank kept talking and didn’t listen to her when she phoned them!

3 Likes

I hear ya. I am so glad that I have young adults in my home. They teach me a lot. Even though sometimes they get impatient because it’s so simple for them. LOL. Glad it worked out for you.