Setting an example

Hi

We are all suffering from rampant inflation and Government Ministers have suggested that we cut back by choosing the cheapest, not expecting what we want.

Wouldn’t it be good if the new Prime Minister set an example by not claiming the £30000 allowance for redecorating the Downing Street flat to their taste as it had not long been done.

3 Likes

It would be nice if they could forego other perks that the rest of us dont have but which we, the taxpayer, pay for.

1 Like

Well yes, it would, but would you honestly wish that wallpaper on your worst enemy?

1 Like

Hi
Not spend another £30k on it, emulsion it

1 Like

Ugh, its not even John Lewis. How ghastly.

2 Likes

I heard she was peeling it all off to take with her, but it might have been just scurrilous rumours! Yes, just paint over it, fetch some stuff from Ikea and job done. :+1:

1 Like

Yes it would be a good idea.

One of the current contenders for the PM job, Rishi Sunak, has already shown that he is willing to pay for re-decoration from his own pocket instead of charging it to the taxpayer.
He did not claim any money for the cost of refurbishing his Downing Street flat when he became Chancellor - he paid for it all himself, from his own private funds.

3 Likes

All.a bit iffy to me. If this flat is used for government business then fair enough that taxpayers contribute towards looking after the parts of it which are used for those purposes, but not for the strictly private areas. Unless, of course, it’s being viewed as part of a relocation package?

Of which he has in abundance yet tells us what we should do with our money…

Should only paupers try for office?

Real people who can relate to the struggles and hardships that this country is going through, should go for office, in my opinion.

Fair enough. Although, sadly, it seems all too often the case that when such people get “there”, then the ailment of powerosis (a term my father devised) seems to become embedded and they totally forget their grass roots.

1 Like

Hi
Of course politicians should be recompensed for reasonable expenses.
The public and official rooms of Downing Street are paid for by government.

This is for the private apartment and is an Annual payment, it Is not a one off

1 Like

Annual?!!!

Hi
Downing Street refurbishment controversy - Wikipedia.

The Cameron’s spent peanuts and May only got a John Lewis sofa and table lamp.

1 Like

Hi

On leaving Boris will also be entitled to an Annual Public Duty payment of up to £115,000 a year, the amount depending on whether he takes another ministerial job to cover his costs of having been prime minister.

I recall an interview in which Arnie Schwarzenegger said he never drew a salary when he was governor of California because he was obviously wealthy enough.

On the £30k pa allowance, I wonder what dubious things are put on the maintenance/furniture expenses list. My wife likes to buy some coloured loo rolls at around £11 for a pack of 6 which match our bathroom’s colour and which we bring out for when we have guests, but use normal ones the rest of the time. Its this sort of expensive luxury that i suspect gets put on the expenses list, even though they’re not essential.at that price.

Wait, you use loo rolls and not old newspapers cut into squares like me?

the Times I assume?