Seeing the International Space Station

Thank you. I’m getting all excited now. :-p

Excellent! :smiley:

That is Excellent :smiley: I have seen it quite a few times now but last nights was really nice with the Moon and Jupiter in the sky as well, it also helps it was a nice warm Evening as well of course…

Remember tonight is 10:52pm and again at 00:27am both 5 or 6 minutes so two good chances to see it weather permitting :cool:

I think that is something people really miss in the modern World, the chance to look at the sky from a nice dark location without any light pollution. That is certainly true of here in the UK where there are very few dark sky locations. It is a real shame as a dark Moonless sky with the Milky Way on display is one of the true wonders of Nature.

I agree.

The best place I ever saw the night sky was in the Maldives where there is no light pollution. I lay back on my sunbed, which was on decking over the Indian Ocean and just looked up. So many more stars than visible from the UK, I could see the Milky Way as clear as anything, plus the sound of waves lapping the beach.

Heaven!

Best skies I saw were in Uluru / Ayres Rock on a totally Moonless night which was just amazing with the Southern Hemisphere Milky Way and on a beach on Fiji where the sky was all reflected into the calm sea…

I would not get to excited mind or it might be a let down :cool:

Yes, it must be interesting to see the southern skies. Add a bit of water and it’s heaven.

I will be on the lookout again tonight, going to drag Mr Mags out to see it this time :lol:

Fantastic! I am sure it was wonderful to see the skies of the Southern Hemisphere.

The best place with the best “seeing” and transparency I’ve ever seen were atop Mauna Kea. Happily heading there next week.

Right now it’s only affected by the eruption of Mauna Kea, which you can see in this video. The ash plume starts at about 4:16, just to the left of the cinder cone.

Despite some patchy cloud this evening I was able to see the ISS as it made its way through the clear patches. I’m pleased that Mr Mags was also able to see it tonight.

I hope you were able to catch it tonight LD?

Unfortunately not Mags. It was just far too cloudy, couldn’t see anything, not even one star. :cry:

Still there will be other chances.

Is it a ‘manned’ space station? Will it be visible again tonight?

That looks excellent have a good time!

The weather seems to have took a turn for the worse :frowning: but you might be lucky in this batch…

It is manned by between 3 and 6 Astronauts at one time apparently

Times for tonight are…

10pm for about 5 minutes

11:35pm for about 6 minutes

1:12am for about 6 minutes

Good Luck with weather!

Excellent the more the better :slight_smile: I have posted these on another forum for quite a few years and I know some people on there have received some strange looks from passing people and neighbours as they stare up the sky…

Actually, it does make you wonder if anyone is watching you creep up the garden in the dark. :lol:

There was one women who said “Thanks for making me look like a Lady of the Night” :shock: She was wondering up and down the street dressed in her nightie and dressing gown! and she failed to see it anyway :slight_smile:

… and all the oooos and aaaahs you make as you sight it! :lol:

My neighbours are pretty much used to me wandering around in the dark staring skywards :smiley:

I saw it last night and twice on Sunday!

and my neighbours just know I am weird anyway :-p

Well being further North than you I only saw one on Sunday :frowning: and one last night…