Seeing More & More Adverts?

Not long ago, there was only one big Tracker, watching what you searched on, then sending you loads of adverts constructed around their findings.

Recently, however, you might have noticed more and more of this going on, to the extent that it becomes more than annoying.

Accepting that they pay for the packages, but We ought to get a say in that!

At the risk of being shot down, I suggest that users of the latest search Engines, like “Edge” & others, take some time to look into the settings, of your search engines , and you might be surprised to find how much you can limit that “tracking”.

For example, if I look in Edge Settings, there are privacy settings which allow you set Strict control of tracking & adverts.

It makes quite a difference!

1 Like

I use Firefox and I’ve got the tracking set to “Strict” but it does come with this warning: Heads up!
This setting may cause some web sites to not display content or work correctly. If a site seems broken, you may want to turn off tracking protection for that site to load all content.
I’ve never had any real problems though.

The adverts help to keep the forums running so I have no objections to them at all.

With Edge Chromium, nigh on all incoming can be arrested.

That’s true.

I do, however, remember how it all went, on the TV, from where the ads were restricted to a few minutes, to what they are now, where they hack out a much bigger chunk of anything you want to watch.

When it gets to the level where it’s an Ads programme, with a few breaks for some drama, all is lost!

1 Like

Is this thread about Adverts on this Forum or Online Adverts in general?

I see very few adverts on this Forum.
There is just one small Ad at the top of each Forum Page I go to.
To be honest, it is such a discreet size that I had never even noticed it until I saw this thread about Adverts.

Does clicking on the some of the Ads at the top of the page increase Ad Revenue for this site?
If so, I’m happy to click on some of the Ads to help support the site.

I didn’t intend it to be about this Forum, Boot, it was aimed at the everyday use of the Windows Apps, such as Edge, etc.

Those where you just try to find some info and get a load of things that somebody thought you’d be interested in buying!

Ah right, Yes, I know what you mean.
I don’t use Windows but it’s the same when I use Safari on my iPad.

The daft thing about it is, when you look at some Widget online and decide to buy it, you continue seeing Ads for the same type of Widgets for weeks afterwards, even though you have already bought the Widget and won’t need another Widget for at least 10 years!

3 Likes

Mags,

Sorry, I should have made it clearer that topic was about online shopping searches and not about the Forum.

Apologies.

Note: Earlier this week I went on line, to look at house prices, and within a few hours I had unwanted emails from 5 different Estate Agents.

I had no logged into any of them!

:skull_and_crossbones:

It’s no problem, Ted :+1: