Secrets of the Great Pyramid of Giza

Nothing has changed eh? You still can’t find a reliable builder :lol:

nice one :smiley:

Please, we are having such a wonderful time discussing ancient Egypt, don’t muck it up by going wildly off track. Please ?

I know we don’t normally agree, but I’m with you on this one.
It’s an interesting thread.

Homer’s funny. I am Homer.

I have since learned how to post photos on this site.

Here you see “The Bent Pyramid” at Dashur. It has the 2nd largest base area of any Egyptian pyramid. It is HUGE.

The architects had to change the angle because the interior began to badly crack due to the weight, By changing the angle they used less stone. Less stone = less weight. It still failed.

Because of incomplete construction knowledge, it was never used. Poor old Khufu, he built 3 colossal pyramids and it was only at Giza that he finally succeeded.

Oi? Whose thread is it anyway? :lol:

JBR, it is, of course, your thread. I am only pleading to stay on topic. Please ?:slight_smile:

Only joking, BM. British humour, it’s called.

Oh, ok. I did not understand that. Thank you. I love talking about ancient Egypt.:-D:-D:-D

Either I’m going bonkers or lost it completely but my memory of the scarab beetle is huge , yet this one is small and yet no other can be found as big as I recall .

Thankyou Morticia and Realist .

Yes I have seen that, such a huge size. I am trying to remember if the Egyptian boat was there too or somewhere else. It was a long time ago.

This is the boat we spent the week on. Great food, great entertainment and of course lots of temples along the way.

http://www.over50sforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6677&stc=1&d=1533403562

Long Dogs, are you referring to the “Solar Boat” ? If so, it sits on the south side of Khufu’s “Great Pyramid” on the Giza Plateau just outside Cairo.

Yes bakerman. The Solar boat. Thanks.

Susan, you said you saw a giant carving of a scarab beetle during a cruise down the Nile to Aswan. Question: did your cruise go from Luxor to Aswan or did you take a much longer cruise (say from Cairo to Aswan)?

This info might help me to locate you missing scarab. :slight_smile:

My cruise went from Aswan to Luxor. We stopped only twice, Once at Kom Ombo and once at Edfu. I saw no such beetle at either location. But, that does not mean it does not exist, only that I did not see it at those two locations.

Is it possible you saw the one at The British Museum and have, over time, confused it with the one at Karnak ? the one at the British Museum is much larger than the one at Karnak but obviously not 20 foot in length.

Hi bakerman , I cruised from luxor we went through the damn at night which was a shame too dark to see anything . We went further on but I’m not sure how far up now . We then returned to luxor . I recall being in this large temple and walking round the huge scarab beetle . Now I’m wondering if I’ve exaggerated the size of it but for some reason my memory recalls it as very large .

But as I’ve said perhaps I’ve lost it ! …

However it was the holiday of my life I’d so love to experience it again . The big problem was two women on our own being constantly harassed by the Egyptian men

Susan, Ah, ok. It sounds like you are talking about the Esna Dam and the locks at that dam. Unless I am very much mistaken, there is no boat lock at Aswan High Dam. (If I am wrong, someone please correct me),

If so, then you probably went as far as the city of Aswan and then returned to Luxor.

Between Luxor and Aswan, there are 3 “major” temples: Kom Ombo, Edfu Temple to Horus, that’s the one with the large statues of Horus the falcon headed god, and Philae Temple (where Cleopatra took Julius Caesar on their romantic Nile journey).

If anyone knows of any other large temple between Luxor and Aswan, please let me know, because I sure missed it.

Hi Susan, I’m sorry but I can find absolutely no evidence of such a large scarab beetle.

As far as I can tell, the world’s largest scarab beetle is in the British Museum. it looks to be about 2- 2 1/2 meters long (6-8 feet) ??

There is the famous one on a pedestal at Karnak but that’s only 2 feet long.

Sorry, I did my best to try to find it for you.

Thankyou B.M. no worries , I have the memory’s of a wonderful experience .