Sealed instead of vented heating system

I absolutely didn’t. Just thought that the natural solution would be to shove a magna on the vent pipe :lol::lol:

So do you think the pump is set too high and that has caused the problem? The pump is new, the old one died a death in the Spring. I honestly don’t know what to think, but why won’t a sealed system solve all the problems? What could go wrong with moving to that? We have had no end of problems with the vented system. It’s not just one company that’s tried to fix it.

So is it possible that the owner sabotaged the system by setting the pump too high?

The low pressure error message came from the boiler itself.

That I must admit I don’t understand

To the best of my Knowledge only low pressure warnings are on sealed combi boilers not on normal vented systems.

Agreed. Annie, can you tell us the precise model number of your boiler and also tell us what error code is flashing up?

Wish I lived close, then I’d come over and temporarily make your system a closed pressurised one (bypassing the plastic expansion tank in the loft by replacing with a pressurised expansion tank (with integral pressure gauge) and filling loop) to see if this would work.

This is pretty much what would need to be done anyway, but the positioning of all of this would have to be somewhere closer to the boiler at ground and deadleg pipework removed/isolated for reasons which I can’t be bothered to explain at present.

Hi, one fault code was F23 and another was F28. I was told one of those codes may have come up when the gas was turned off temporarily. The other was a low pressure fault. It’s a vailant ecotec plus 428.

F23: Could be the new pump isn’t powerful enough

https://ephg.limited/vaillant-boiler-f23-fault-code.html

I have read a magnaclean should be installed before the powerflush. Is that right?

Doesn’t really make any difference whether it goes in before or after. However, as a flush will be sending gunk through the system, if you install before, you’ll have to clean out the magna… Only a 5 mins job - turnt the isolator valves off, unscrew the lid, take our the gubbins and rinse off. Not special skills required - if you can open a jar, you can service a magna. :slight_smile:

Annie - if you have easy access to the pump, adjust the setting to a higher one.

Or gas pressure too low

F.28 : Appliance does not start: Attempts to ignite during start failed

Faults in the gas supply such as:- - Gas meter or gas pressure detector defective - Air in gas- Gas flow pressure too low - Fire protection tap has disengaged Faults in the gas valve, wrong gas setting, igniter (ignition transformer, ignition cable, ignition plug) defective, ionisation current stopped (cable, electrode), faulty earthing in appliance, electronics defective

https://ephg.limited/vaillant-boiler-f28-fault-code.html

Pay particular attention to the question about diy fixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/dwbFx0wG3lk

Ours doesn’t look like that but I’ve been told the filter that’s fitted works as a magna clean. It’s like an upside down black plastc bottle. That’s what’s been filling up more and more. They have now suggested flushing sealing and then replacing radiators on a piece by piece basis.

Same here Annie. I could take a pic. We are having a power flush next week. We had one when the new boiler was fitted.
I am not having the radiators replaced until I have to!!!
Apparently, ours has two filters???

Is yours a sealed system sweetie?

Yes, it is.
We can’t win. When we had the old boiler, the wind kept blowing the pilot light out through the vent. So now we have a combi. It is a Viessmann, less than two years old. Now that keeps sending an alert every few months, then shutting down!!

What’s the alert???

If its a low water pressure one you might have a small leak somewhere, normal its on a radiator valve.

What?
Something else to worry about.
I’m going to check them all!

Sounds like they have useless engineers tbh.
Good engineers are hard to come by these days. Most are just fitters and go by fault codes. They have no true diagnostic skills.
It’s a simple system, and they should have got to the bottom of it by now.
We try to help as much as possible, but remote diagnosis is very difficult.
I’m confident that myself or Dex could fault find it in no time, but you need to be there hands on really.

Where is your location (approx) - one of us may know someone in the trade who could have a look?

Easy done just take cap off the valve and with the heating off for at least a day and see if there is any water where the spindle goes into the valve… there should be a very small nut you can tighten.

No call out charge but just send me a 100 quid for the advice please.:lol: