Sealed instead of vented heating system

I concur :slight_smile:

Might be worth digging out the installation log. There’s a very slight chance that there’s a 5 year guarantee for system failure which if the installer followed MI’s to the letter, puts the onus on the manufacturer to rectify. Small chance, to be sure, but maybe worth a few minutes of admin.

lol I am sure you would all do a far better job! :smiley:

That’s what the last guy said ref the radiators. But I guess changing them and then suggesting a sealed system makes more money. That was the owner’s suggestion. I agree that the last flush maybe wasn’t great but I am hoping that if the system is sealed it will end this cycle of having the filter cleaned.

We had none of these problems with the old potterton but then it just packed up after years.

@ Dex,

I wonder if Annie’s guys are on about retaining the system boiler and using an unvented cylinder, when they say “sealed system”…?

That being the case, as long as the house is not huge and does not have two bathrooms which could be in use simultaneously, I’d still go combi for the reduced running costs.

What says you?

Agreed. Don’t think that a G3 unvented cylinder would be needed. Changing a 5 year old system boiler to a combi and thus losing the cylinder in the airing cupboard is piddly, but creates potential space in the future.

And the extra space in the loft…:wink:

Yep there are two bathrooms and it’s a big house! Perhaps that’s why they scratch their heads :slight_smile:

Oh and they never mentioned a combi, just a move to a sealed system. Isn’t heating fun!

In which case, subject to what water pressure/flow rate you have, get the G3 tank. :slight_smile:

Yep…:lol:

Ok, a combi is not the best bet then. They are on about an unvented cylinder / system.

I’d still go the route we advised though. Remember, we are not here to make money / get work, just advice.

Get a reverse flush, fit a magnaclean and have inhibitor added. That should sort you out and won’t cost a fortune…:wink:
Should last a few years as well.

Trickle the info to us at your own leisure :confused::lol::lol:

A G3 tank will provide hot water through your taps at mains pressure. Not entirely sure how it’ll affect your radiators as they are on a different and closed system. Unless the rads are cleaned out properly, it’s not worth the effort.

Annie, if you’re going to spend a couple of thousand then replace your rads on a rotation basis!!

It won’t affect the rads mate. As you say, a separate closed circuit at standard pressures.

Your being Conned.

You don’t need water pressure to run a boiler on a vented system.

OK lets consider something else.

On a open vented system and the pump set to high…say in a flat but also in a house.

The heated water will be forced through the vent pipe into the expansion tank and cool but some will evaporate allowing more mains water into the system and more sludge to build up.

Only thing I find odd that your 5 year old boiler does not work when you use your heating.

Thinking you are being conned by your fitter.

Fit a magnaclean on the end of the vent pipe:shock::lol::lol::lol: That’d be a novel idea :lol::lol::lol:

Aww Memories :slight_smile: …Aaaaaah memories. :shock:

Think you misread my post.

I absolutely didn’t. Just thought that the natural solution would be to shove a magna on the vent pipe :lol::lol: