Scrapping fuel duty and ved

I’m just trying to get my head around how pay per mile is better than Fuel Duty - both increase as you drive more miles but the Fuel Duty encourages people to have cars which are more fuel efficient and use less fuel per mile.

If we switch to “pay per mile”, I guess the tariff would have to be set for different £amount per mile for different classes of vehicle ?

Why not just scrap VED and put it all on Fuel Duty?

Am I missing something everyone else can see?

(Not that it worry me much because my car mileage is very low these days)

Oh, yeah - I’ve just read the OP again - pay per mile would allow adjustments for travelling at peak times etc - a bit like on trains, I suppose, to encourage folk, who are able, to travel off peak.

At the moment to encourage their take up EVs get a weight based rego fee the same as other vehicles but the NSW Government has already said that rego will be calculated on EVs on distance travelled instead .

Fuel tax is a Federal Tax so the state is not directly affected by lower use.

When most people have switched to EV,s, they won’t use petrol or diesel so the treasury’s coffers will gradually empty, so they have to make that back, we’re taking about billions lost …

1 Like

Ah, yes - I thought I must be missing something obvious - that was the obvious point I was missing! Silly me.

I can’t believe the treasury still keep their dosh in coffers; especially now that we have online banking.

It’s easier for their back handed payments

Same here. The furthest we’ve driven in the last 2 years is 90 miles in one trip. Our normal weekly mileage is now around 10-12miles.

Knowing how tech savvy some people are, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone finds a work-around for these “black-boxes” or finds a way to bypass them altogether.

1 Like

I suspect that what they’ll do is increase the cost of electricity. Obviously, those with electric vehicles will pay a lot more than the rest of us, although our bills will also go up.

They will do both

Hi

The problem with pay per mile is those in Rural Areas with no public transport.

1 Like

There will be a dedicated EV charging rate. Why do you think they are pedantic about us all having smart meters fitted with a revenue generating multitiered tariff.

So do you think those in the Westminster bubble gives a toss?

But even the smart meters monitor what is used withing the whole household. How do they differentiate between the car charging and everything else?

The recognition ‘smart’ pulse sent back to the meter when the charging starts.

I believe you!

1 Like

In part they want everyone to have a so called smart meter because it will mean. 1. They can gain saleable information about who does what in their home, gaining extra income & information not, normally, commercially available. Turn something on in the longe, kitchen, bedroom & they will know you are there for example. And 2. They can decide whose electricity they want to switch off, if they want to reduce power usage in any specific area. So, for example, your neighbour who is a Tory MP keeps his power whilst your neighbour who works for Tesco’s looses his power. Power for social housing can be turned off, but power remains to private housing on a single close in the middle of a council estate.

The desire to use so called smart technology is as mush about the extra income it generates in commercially valuable information about individuals. Plus the ability that information gives the state to control who does what.

Why would they want to turn off council houses ?

I agree that all of that is perfectly possible.
The second point (emboldened) is certainly possible and believable, even though some may see it as an unlikely move.

Perhaps more likely would be them turning off individual homes’ electricity if the owner has not paid his bills.

Are there any left? :man_shrugging:
Most around my town here have been sold off originally to long standing tents. Then they fall into disrepair only to be offered for sale by banks etc at vastly reduced prices. I bought four and we still own them for letting.