Schwartz Packet Sauces - BBE Date Exceeded - OK To Use?

During the pandemic I stocked up with Schwartz packet sauces. I never got round to using them all and now some have exceeded their BBE date, some by a couple of months, some by more.

Are they ok to use … :question:

Hmm. Bit risky if you ask me.

1 Like

I would smell them, and decant them into a clean glass or jar to see if there is anything untoward, like separation of ingredients. Then taste a bit on your fingertip. If everything seems ok, go ahead and use them.

A couple of months older than the BBE, (not Use By Date) would be ok. But hey, if in doubt, do nowt :+1:

1 Like

I wouldn’t eat it personally, but here’s a UK guide.

1 Like

As long as they are sealed go for it .
However they may have lost some of their effectiveness .

1 Like

Thanks … :+1:

Generally, internet advice is “use it” but I think I’ll compromise - use the newer products and dump the older ones … :thinking:

3 Likes

If the are the dried packet sauces I have often used as much as 9mths BBE without ill effect. I never take much notice of dates on things.

2 Likes

For the sake of your own peace of mind maybe it’s best to bin the worst of them and be done with it.
I ate some tinned apples that were over year past their best before date recently, no I’ll effects at all but I wasn’t very comfortable with the experience. I just didn’t want to waste them

1 Like

I wanted to make a Thai green curry the other day, and found a Schwarz packet mix in the cupboard. It said to mix the contents with 12 fl.oz. of milk, which I duly did. It smelled a bit weird, not unpleasant, but just nothing like I’d expect Thai green curry to smell. It had a sort of wet cardboard smell about it. I picked up the packet and found the BBE date was February 2019 :roll_eyes: :joy:. It was thrown away, needless to say.

Luckily I had a jar of Thai green curry paste, which was comfortably in date.

2 Likes

The sauces are all dried and I’ll stick to no more than a couple of months old.

As it happens, their purchase preceded my acquisition of a “best before” app for my phone. For the last few months, all perishable food has been logged and used before the BBE date, so no waste … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now that’s a good idea. Not sure I’d be disciplined enough to keep it up though :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hi

It was only a few years ago we were cleaning out a food store and sent away 3 cans of 47 year old lamb stew for analysis.

It was fit to eat.

It was rumoured that in one store that was being emptied a large quantity of whiskey was found.

Apparently it was fit to drink.

3 Likes

I’d get rid of them , not worth worrying about .

2 Likes

I have used out of date dried spices,they are just a little milder.
Maybe i`m just a tight git.

1 Like

Dried spices are fine IMHO. But when they contain fruit and veg, such as tomatoes, onions etc at room temp for far longer than intended (and especially given the room temps we’ve had over the last few weeks), I think any preservative’s properties may have run it’s course.

2 Likes

Later today, I shall use:

dated 25/06/22 … :spaghetti:

1 Like

That looks within reason. Always a gamble, even if it’s used before best by date. Am sure we’ve all had stuff gone off within date.

Hope it goes well.

1 Like

I once ate a three day old chicken curry …I lived, that’s me though, living on the edge.

2 Likes

You rascal!

1 Like

Even if it goes a bit awry, with emjay back home and Swimmy working his way towards release, we’ll need a member to take over and post as “Our Man in”…hospital.

Go for it Omah :blush::grin: We’re all right behind you, albeit with a bucket and a shovel.

1 Like