Saving Electricity

I assume most of us on here will have had parents who were careful and of the Make Do and Mend generation so it rubbed off on us.

Like you, we never wasted much at all. just like my Mum I cook from scratch, use steamer pans rather than have a load of rings on at once, hardly use the tumble dryer, have foil behind my radiators to reflect heat, never waste any food ever, turn off unnecessary lights, etc. I don’t have to think about it, it’s just in me.

However, I am not EVER going to cut down on heat as I hate the cold and nor will I cut down on food as we all love our food in this house!

4 Likes

ref bulbs I was referring to replacing like for like at a lower wattage - the cost saving in power vs the cost of the bulb if the bulb type is the same as the replacement may be negative

Ref kettle boiling it depends on how many cups of tea etc you drink. Boiling it once a day won’t impact. But once an hour might.

I agree with you RoseRed, I cannot function at all in the cold, so while I won’t be wasteful (as in heating rooms I’m not in), I certainly won’t be sitting cupping my hands over a candle.

3 Likes

We use LEDs, not lower wattage bulbs. Those operate at about one fifth of incandescent bulbs - big difference.
Our bright bathroom:

If you really want your LEDs to last a long time (despite what the manufacturers claim they are over driven). If you can use a soldering iron…

First buy a bulb of a higher wattage than you need

Carefully prise off the cover (making sure it is plastic not glass first) cut off one of the current regulating resistors attached to the current limiting chip, if there are two or remove the only one and replace it with one of a higher value.

Replace the cover using a silicon glue.

The LEDs will run much cooler and last a lot longer.

Desolder or snip off one of the resistors ringed in the pic.

Warning - do not run with the cover off its MAINS VOLTAGE. Do not do if you can’t read a circuit board.

FWIW we have had just one failure in the four years have lived here. I’m not inclined to start with fiddling at component level. In any case the luminaires are sealed units.

I think I’m missing something here. What is the point in knowing how many kWh we use, what is a kWh and how much a kWh costs?

That just makes it all the more painful surely.

We all know what our bills used to be, we all know we are going to pay 50% more. We all know a hoover or tumble drier costs more than a TV or a lightbulb.

Time to get on with life. And thankyou for the handouts.

1 Like

It does make it all the more painful, yes…and I admit to being quite obsessed about it when it all kicked off. But when I realised they (energy companies) were taking the mick with their x3 DD of mine when I used minimal energy, I just got really indignant and grumpy, so didn’t bother after a while. They aren’t suffering, so why should I - especially in winter time :rage:

You have recently moved to a big old house … have you not Pixie? We nearly did the same.

1 Like

The government has just announced the per kWh caps to be 34.0p/kWh for electricity.

1 Like

Yes I did, and occupy the ground floor. Its colder than the flat I moved from so quite a shock to experience a less luxurious life of no draughts and constant warmth. :joy:

What changed your mind about the move - is it cheaper where you are?

Pffft! My energy company emailed me saying mine was going to be 33.76/kWh. As if that’s a good thing :roll_eyes:

I’ve lived in London for 50+ years, always thought I’d go back to my W. Country roots: bigger, better property. But we lack the enthusiasm for the move. And now with this energy crisis we are even less enthusiastic.

1 Like

Don’t blame you at all! It’s a shame…the West Country is lovely. Home is wherever you lay your hat though :smiley:

1 Like

I used to go for acupuncture to a woman who lived in a big old house. Huge cold rooms that they couldn’t afford to heat but she said it was lovely in the summer. Thank god her treatment room was very small and she used to put a heater in there before I arrived. I don’t know how people can live like that.

1 Like

Eeek! That sounds awful Rose. Glad she treated you to a warm room :smiley: I can imagine the light airy-ness in the summer though…

My rooms are quite tiny thankfully so don’t take long to heat up and be cosy. I just wish I didn’t have a draughty front door! :joy:

Actually they are invariably a press fit cap glued with silicon, easy to remove with a spudger (after checking that they are not glass) and just as easy to reseal.

As I say best not to attempt unless you know what you are doing.

I do know. But is it worth the effort for the infrequent failures?.

what do these caps mean?

1 Like

" don’t try this at home kids" come to mind!

1 Like