Saving Electricity

The government has just announced the per kWh caps to be 34.0p/kWh for electricity.

1 Like

Yes I did, and occupy the ground floor. Its colder than the flat I moved from so quite a shock to experience a less luxurious life of no draughts and constant warmth. :joy:

What changed your mind about the move - is it cheaper where you are?

Pffft! My energy company emailed me saying mine was going to be 33.76/kWh. As if that’s a good thing :roll_eyes:

I’ve lived in London for 50+ years, always thought I’d go back to my W. Country roots: bigger, better property. But we lack the enthusiasm for the move. And now with this energy crisis we are even less enthusiastic.

1 Like

Don’t blame you at all! It’s a shame…the West Country is lovely. Home is wherever you lay your hat though :smiley:

1 Like

I used to go for acupuncture to a woman who lived in a big old house. Huge cold rooms that they couldn’t afford to heat but she said it was lovely in the summer. Thank god her treatment room was very small and she used to put a heater in there before I arrived. I don’t know how people can live like that.

1 Like

Eeek! That sounds awful Rose. Glad she treated you to a warm room :smiley: I can imagine the light airy-ness in the summer though…

My rooms are quite tiny thankfully so don’t take long to heat up and be cosy. I just wish I didn’t have a draughty front door! :joy:

Actually they are invariably a press fit cap glued with silicon, easy to remove with a spudger (after checking that they are not glass) and just as easy to reseal.

As I say best not to attempt unless you know what you are doing.

I do know. But is it worth the effort for the infrequent failures?.

what do these caps mean?

1 Like

" don’t try this at home kids" come to mind!

1 Like

I was preparing a pork casserole for dinner tonight and when I’d finished cooking it, as always I left the cooker door open to use the heat to warm the room a bit more. That’s something you can’t do with an air fryer which so many people are doing now to save electricity.

1 Like

Fan oven?

Want you to do that in the summer?

I hardly use the oven in the summer, so No.

I don’t really know what I can do to save electricity .
I already do all the things that save it and my bill is still high .
The standing charges a make the bill high without using anything .

1 Like

Agree with you there Muddy the daily charges certainly put the bill up , I think they should be cancelled out , the government should intervene after all millions in profit has been made

I still use my tumble dryer in bad weather but as it’s tub is more than twice the size of my washer tub, I dry two washer loads in it at a time instead of one.

I like to think this is saving me a bit.

I’m using my gas fire on low in the lounge and I have bought a halogen heater, on 400 watts the halogen is using 9pence an hour , it really warms the room quickly , perfect for popping it into the bedroom while dressing

It might do but as I found out at the weekend if you stuff it full then the washing gets all creased. My son overfilled it while I was out and the bedding came out all creased.