Saudi Arabia plans to build 170 km long apartment block?

@Ripple , l predict that IF it gets built then after a few years the mirrors
will all be scratched by the sandstoms , and the sand will have built up
on the windward side of it, converting it into a sand dune !!
The prince will not be amused !!

1 Like

I suspect the designers/architects will have taken that into consideration.
But why not build it?

Did some research and picked up this …from The Architectural Digest

Saudia Arabia is planning to invest between $100–$200 billion to build a green oasis in the desert—a futuristic city with no cars, no streets, and zero net carbon emissions.

Announced this month by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, “the Line” is a 106-mile-long belt of hyperconnected communities stretching from the mountains of northwest Saudi Arabia to the Red Sea.

But unlike the polluting metropolises of today, this city of 1 million will be powered by “100% clean energy,” with residents ferried about by “autonomous mobility solutions” and ultra-high-speed transit.

The Line is laid in three layers: a surface layer for pedestrians, plus two subterranean layers for transport and infrastructure. The design, says Bin Salman, will preserve 95% of the region’s natural environment.

@Vlad Dyou think so Vlad ?
I suspect the designers/:architets dont care, probably the madder the
concept, the more dosh they can charge ??
Apart from that it will stop any wild life from migrating up and down the
coastal plain and it may cause the deaths of thousands of birds from
flying into the mirrors ??
And, not only that it will be a long camel ride if you want to get to the other
side. ??
Next question !!

Made your mind up then? :grinning:

@Vlad , Yep, logic aint it??:grin::grin::grin:

A link for the non Luddites :grinning:

@Vlad , That link you put up is definitely for non- luddites Vlad! :hugs::hugs:
It sounds much like the speil we had for HS2 !!:grin::grin:
But l ask you, realy, robot dinosaurs ! Luminous sand to provide light,/
Automatic cloud seeding/ electrolosis to produce hydrogen and oxygen ??
not to mention the fact that the glass for the mirrors and windows will
require oodles of energy ? It will take years to get rid of the carbon it creates !!
Yes. I am a Luddite, l believe that " less is more, and more is less "
:+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

:grinning: I bet you said the same about the pyramids

And don’t forget all the concrete that will be needed. Concrete has a colossal carbon footprint (72.5tons CO2/ton of concrete produced - 2019 figures).

@Vlad Still am !! :grin::grin:

@Percy_Vere , Yeah, l didnt forget Percy,my list was getting too long !!
:+1::+1::+1:

:rofl: And I haven’t found the figures for all the steel that will be needed either :rofl: Oh, and another thing, Saudi sand isn’t the right sort of sand for construction so all the sand will have to be shipped in adding more to the carbon footprint again.

@Percy_Vere , ■■■■ me Percy !! ( Thats an exclamation not a question. :grin::grin:)
Your a marvel when you get going !!

We are all doomed! :grinning:

Just a vanity project, they want to leave something for history to remember them and they have the dosh to try.:woman_shrugging:

It reminds me of Johnson’s Irish Sea Bridge and his London Garden Bridge :rage:

But Shelley had it right……

2 Likes

I don’t think they should be discouraged. I’d spend the weekend there if they’re doing AirB&B. Third floor with sea view.

One forgets so quickly just how much of an idiot Johnson was. In the case of the Garden Bridge, an idiot who cost us millions for absolutely nothing.

1 Like

I have now, at least the 2018 figures: Every ton of steel produced in 2018 emitted on average 1.85 tons of carbon dioxide, equating to about 8 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions. :rofl:

:rofl: We went through a phase at the labs I worked at trying to determine just how much CO2 is produced per average passenger radial tyre. We even included the CO2 generated by boiling water for cups of tea and coffee during work breaks as a bit of a joke :rofl:

1 Like

Hi

I am no expert on such things, but do understand the basics.

I am very basic on so many things, a simple northern soul.

You don’t get owt for nowt.

I am on other forums, weirdly technical ones.

Apparently this is a great idea and the future for a Carbon Free Economy.

It certainly is more rational than HS2.