Sat navigation fault

On Sues Honda Civic estate the integrated sat nav on the dash went blank and Sue was going back to Honda to get it looked at. She is reluctant to let me have a look and argues about everything I do to try and fix it. Anyway I had a look first thinking maybe just a fuse, but no everything else worked, So back to basic method of fixing everything , I reset it back to manufactures default. took a bit of time with Sue saying it isn’t working, not having given it much time, then it started going through the setup function.
hurray sat nav back on screen, then came the moaning that nothing else programmed in before had gone. what did she expect with a back to original settings? so I got the steering wheel sat nav buttons to work, and the blue-toothl for her hands free in car mobile phone .
Now complains the screen is not as it was on start up displaying what she is used to.
So she is going to have a fiddle “god help us” to get it back how she likes, I done my bit to get the sat nav to work.

AS a bye the bye around the car dealerships in Eastbourne that are close together there seems to be an area where no sat nav signal is received, this happens in both cars so it is not a problem with the cars, bit further out and we get the signal without any problem.

1 Like

1 Like

I blame the Alien invasion

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Why is it car manuals tell you all about how to get into a car ,move the seats and with a bit of luck change the wiper blades, inevitably what you want to know is not in there. Example to get to the fuse box inside the Nissan Xtrail the glove box has to come out. Yes I know its a stupid idea, but it doesn’t tell you how to. I found it just needs a good tug and it comes away.
the manuals that come with a car are pages long and full of mainly useless information.

1 Like

What you need is a ‘Haynes Manual’ Realspeed, I’ve never owned a car without one…

Haynes Manual

I remember something someone posted on Facebook…

“Years ago, car manuals would tell you plug gaps, valve clearances and timings. These days, car manuals just tell you not to drink the battery acid.”

I used to have Haynes manuals for previous cars and they are good. with new cars even getting around an engine is impossible, or should i say back in the day with Morris Minors and Ford Anglia one could work on them, and I worked on many cars of that era. Thought nothing about replacing white shells on the big ends of pistons for example or working on valve heads grinding them by hand ( remember the stick with a rubber suction cup and grinding paste?) to seat properly again. Or the strobe light to set up the timing. Now you can’t even get to them, that is if one can still get the tools to do it. Yes the 1950/60’s era was great for home mechanics, not so now

1 Like

Yes I remember them well realspeed…
I’ve replaced many a big end shell and piston ring, some folks used to grind valves in with an electric drill, but I always used the rubber stick. When I was an apprentice mechanical engineer I skimmed many a cylinder head on a surface grinder…Cast Iron in those days…Torquing them up wasn’t as important as it is with the new alloy heads.

If I had plenty of money and some premises I would love to strip all of the computer stuff out of my car.

yes those are skills modern car mechanics I doubt even are taught about. all they do is plug in a diagnostic kit. I sitll say you can’t beat hearing a noisy tappet by placing a long screw driver or bit of wood cover the valve cover and putting ones ear on the end. It is surprising how much can be heard from an engine doing this, even down to worn water pumps and alternators/dynamos.

1 Like

Don’t you know that husbands and car dealerships are the root of all problems in the world? :sweat_smile:

Good for you for the reprogramming though! Impressive!

1 Like