Samsung to cut chip production after profits plunge 96%

Samsung is cutting its chip production because of low profits. There had been a chip shortage earlier but demand for electronics reduced after covid.

I can’t decide if this means electronics will go up or down in price.

You missed out the important word “memory”, many companies can make memory chips.

They are a simple beast compared to processor chips

Apparently not many companies can manufacture memory chips, the machines required to etch the nano circuits onto a piece of silicon are very rare and expensive, consequently only the large electronics giants can afford them.

1 Like

Even if your statement were true, which it doesn’t appear to be unless you consider 2 others to be “many”, how would that affect the price of electronics?

2 Likes

That’s 200% more than Samsung. How many do you need?

As many as you need to answer the question in the OP. Since that doesn’t look like it will be happening, I don’t need any since it was you who brought up the point with no apparent significance.

2 Likes

It means more reliance on the cloud. So more money for cloud provision. The almost forced transfer to cloud services is probably also the reason profits are down on chips. It’s like cheques vs e banking etc. So it shouldn’t mean electronics will go up in price if they have cloud compatibility, but it does make us more reliant on what is a huge infrastructure reliant increasingly on satellites run by private enterprise. It’s all a big risk IMO. So many services are now reliant on the whole system working.

3 Likes

Providing we don’t have a massive geo-magnetic storm…It has happened in the past…
:astonished:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether many parts of the world are organised enough to have a surefast back up plan. Or whether they have adequate maintenance plans, natural resource planning including fragile supply chains.

2 Likes

I couldn’t buy the car I wanted partly due to a chip shortage.

There’s a bloke in our street been waiting ages for a new Lexus. I reckon it must be the same thing Ripple.

1 Like

I’m sure you are right .
In the end after waiting a year for a Rav with no end in sight.
I went for a Lexus , like your neighbour nothing available new indeed stopped taking orders until 2024 for the model I wanted .
I settled for a nearly new preloved Lexus.
It’s a lovely car . :wink:

1 Like