Saint Patrick's Day

Happy St Paddy’s Day to one and all.

5 Likes

And to you xx

1 Like

And what should I be expecting to happen that is going to make me happy, Percy? :thinking:

My dad’s birthday.
He would’ve been well over 100 by now.
He was christened Cyril, but my mum thought that was a dreadful name and so he was always called Pat.
Except by his mum!!

3 Likes

My Mum was Irish and loved St Patrick’s Day and little boxes of shamrock would arrive in the post every year from her family. Sadly for Mum my Dad died on St Patrick’s Day 15 years ago.

1 Like

Much celebrated in USA. Not so much here in UK.

1 Like

We enjoy this holiday and celebrate with parades and lots of green beer!

Yes, I am Irish, but just the Blarney part.:wink:

Bit late …but…this is great

2 Likes

But you are not actually from Ireland ?

It was lovely to share a meal with friends again this year - really missed that during lockdown etc.,

Menu - all home made -

Irish Onion Soup with soda bread.

Colcannon with Gammon and glazed Carrots

Carrageen Moss Pudding.

( I won’t mention the Guinness or the Jameson’s )

2 Likes

If you check, I think you’ll find that you did mention them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Glad you had such an ejoyable evening with your friends, Tabby.
Your menu sounds scrummy. :+1:

1 Like

Not I, Harbal, 'twas the Leprechaun on my shoulder!

1 Like

No, I am American, but my grandfather was part Irish. :slightly_smiling_face:

ST what is colcannon and the moss pudding . It sounds delicious what are the ingredients?

@susan_m - Two recipes for you - both from Darina Allen’s book ’ Irish Traditional Cooking’ - that woman is a genius in the kitchen and her recipes never go wrong!

Colcannon (Traditional recipe as taught by Darina Allen)

Ingredients (serves 8 )

• 1 lb (1.3 kg) ‘old’ potatoes, such as Golden Wonders or Kerr’s Pink
  • 1 lb Savoy, spring cabbage, or kale
  • 50 g / 2 oz salted Irish butter
  • Generous 1 cup (250 ml / 9fl oz) whole milk
  • 1 oz spring onion or scallions, finely sliced (optional)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Scrub the potatoes but leave them whole. Put them in a saucepan of cold water, add a generous teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. Parboil for approximately 15 minutes, and then strain off two-thirds of the water. Replace the lid and ‘steam’ over a gentle heat until fully cooked.

Meanwhile, remove the dark outer leaves from the cabbage. Wash the rest and cut into quarters, remove the core and cut finely across the grain. If using kale, remove the central rib. Cook the kale or cabbage in a little boiling salted water until tender. Drain, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and beat in a small knob of the butter.

Once the potatoes are just cooked, tip them into a colander and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, put the milk and spring onions into a clean saucepan and bring to the boil. Pull the skins off the potatoes and discard. Mash the flesh quickly while it is still warm and beat in enough boiling milk to make a fluffy purée.

Finally stir in the cooked cabbage or kale and taste for seasoning. For perfection serve immediately in a hot dish with a lump of butter melting in the centre.

About the Author

Darina Allen is Ireland’s most famous cook and a best-selling author. She is the owner of Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry, Co Cork, Ireland, as well as a teacher, food writer, newspaper columnist, cookbook author and television presenter. She is a tireless ambassador for Irish food both at home and abroad!

1 Like

Mum used to make us delicious Champ. Creamy mashed potatoes with chopped spring onions (which she always called Scallions). Colcannon just takes it a step further by adding shredded cabbage. Both are delicious.

1 Like

I do not know why this is referred to as Moss – because it is actually seaweed. If you live near the sea and can harvest it fresh – great – if not, you can use dried. Be careful where you buy it though – places like Amazon and Holland & Barret sell some as ‘Irish Moss’ but it often has added peanuts and/or sesame seeds – not good. I buy mine from here:-

CARRAGEEN MOSS PUDDING
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 8grams cleaned, well-dried carrageen moss
• 900ml milk
• 1 vanilla pod ( or pure Vanilla Extract – not essence)
• 1 egg
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
Method

1. Soak the carrageen in tepid water for 10 minutes. Strain off the water and put the carrageen into a saucepan with the milk and vanilla pod, if using. Bring to the boil and simmer very gently with the lid on for 20 minutes. At that point, and not before, separate the egg and put the yolk into a bowl.
  2. Add the sugar and vanilla extract (if you are using it) and whisk together for a few seconds. Pour the milk and carrageen through a strainer on to the egg yolk mixture, whisking all the time.
  3. The carrageen will now be swollen and exuding jelly. Rub all this jelly through the strainer and beat it into the liquid. Test for a set in a cold saucer: put it in the fridge and it should set in a couple of minutes. Rub a little more through the strainer if necessary.
  4. Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form and fold it in gently; it will rise to make a fluffy top. Leave to cool.
  5. Top with preferred fruit and serve. ( can be topped with whipped cream or ice cream)

OK. I’m a Scotsman, born and bred. We do celebrate St Andrew’s day but nothing like to the extent that the the Americans do for the Irish. Perhaps we Scots are dour lot…:|)

1 Like

Did you hear what Biden said today?

“I may be Irish, but I’m not stupid.” :rofl:

Joe Biden ridiculed for latest Irish gaffe on St Patrick’s Day - ‘Embarrassment!’ | World | News | Express.co.uk

1 Like