Ryan Giggs on trial for assaulting two women - Update: Charges withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service

Wales manager Ryan Giggs has been charged with assaulting two women.

He is accused of causing actual bodily harm to a woman in her 30s and common assault of a woman in her 20s at an address in Salford on 1 November.

Mr Giggs, of Worsley, is also charged with coercive or controlling behaviour between December 2017 and November 2020.

The former Manchester United player has been bailed to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on 28 April.

Previously:

Giggs conducted an eight-year affair with his brother Rhodri’s wife, Natasha.

In May 2011, it was reported in non-UK media sources that Giggs was the identity of CTB in CTB v News Group Newspapers, a footballer who had obtained an anonymised gagging order in relation to an alleged extra-marital affair with model Imogen Thomas.

On 3 November 2020, Giggs was arrested on suspicion of two counts of assault against his girlfriend and another person. He denied the charges against him.

Giggs was a gifted and consistent player for Manchester United - additionally, he was never sent off in his 24-season playing career for that team. Personally, I never took to him for some reason and my suspicions were confirmed by later revelations and subsequent behaviour.

It does seem that, again, his relationships with women is cause for concern.

Aye, he’s as famous for his womanising as he is for his football.

Let us see if he can wheedle his way out of this one.

Money talks. S’all I’m sayin’ :cool:

Red card! Red card!

Kate was pictured with a bruised lip in November 2020

The charges

[LIST=1]
[*]Repeatedly or continuously engaging in behaviour which was controlling or coercive, contrary to section 76(1) and (11) of the Serious Crime Act 2015.

[*]Assault occasioning actual bodily harm, contrary to section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861.

[*]Assault by beating, contrary to section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988. This relates to a second woman.
[/LIST]

Common assault carries a maximum sentence of six months and or a fine of up to £5,000.

But the more serious charge of coercive control could see him locked up for up to five years if guilty and receive an unlimited fine.

The law was introduced in 2015 to address “controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate or family relationship which causes someone to fear that violence will be used against them”.The charges follow an alleged bust-up with ex-girlfriend Kate Greville at his mansion.

Hi

Sex is great, and consensual.

You do not force a lady, never, ever, it is simply wrong.

I have met some weird ladies, but it was their idea, not mine.

I have refused point blank to some requests.

Extreme pain is not my thing at all.

I am just baffled how you see this as a sport.
Then again I suppose its down to your upbringing.

? Who is your post to Bigfella? :confused:

Yes, unfortunately it often does, Pixie.

Ryan Giggs denies assaulting two women

Wales manager and ex-Manchester United player Ryan Giggs has appeared in court to deny assaulting two women.

Mr Giggs is charged with causing actual bodily harm to a woman in her 30s and common assault of a woman in her 20s at an address in Salford last November.

The 47-year-old, of Worsley, is also charged with coercive or controlling behaviour.

He appeared at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

Wearing a dark suit and tie he spoke to confirm his address and date of birth before the three charges were read to him.

The case was then adjourned and Mr Giggs is due to appear at Manchester Crown Court on 26 May.

He has been bailed until his trial on condition he does not approach either of the women he is accused of assaulting or approach any addresses where he believes them to be.

:balance_scale:

Well obviously Mups its to the guy that firstly opened the thread in the Sports section.

Yes I suppose in Scotland and Wales it may well be a sport bashing women, after all they are quite capable of giving back what they receive.:021::075: :lol:

But we Brit’s and of course most of our Irish forefathers are quite used to our women folk being rather pretty and petite. :008::049:

The gents among us Brits/Irish don’t bash em we just love them. :052::049::058: :023:

Giggs was the Winner 2009 BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award. The 20-year veteran of Manchester United had made his 800th appearance, scored his 150th goal and helped the club reach the Champions League final. AFAIK, he is (or was) the Wales team manager and is co-owner of Salford City FC.

A chef or gardener he ain’t … :wink:

More details of the charges:

Court documents indicate he is accused of engaging in controlling or coercive behaviour, which includes “repeatedly or continuously engaged in behaviour which was controlling or coercive, namely, used violence, isolation, belittling, humiliation, harassment, degradation and abuse”.

Andrea Griffiths, for the prosecution, told the court Mr Giggs had subjected Kate Greville to a “deliberate head butt” on 1 November 2020 and this had been “aggravated by domestic background” and being “in drink”.

What’s all that got to do with the price of fish, Omah?

Does that give him the right to abuse women (if it’s true of course), just because he has won some awards and can kick a ball?

People like Epstein thought they were infallible too.

Here we go throwing the racist card on the table. tut tut tut. :lol:

Omah I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

All we are saying is yes this is worthy of a thread but in the right section please.
Sport is about Sport not about women bashing.

This thread belongs in General Chat and it surprised me that the mods allowed it to continue in this section.

Anyways I never liked Giggsy don’t ask my why just instant dislike when we met at some christening or other. But this woman beating does not surprise me at all.

Giggs sounds like a very unpleasant piece of scum, I hope he is sent down if he is guilty as charged.

I think that’s unlikely but his “record” will certainly be sullied.

Omah, I was replying to your post no. 12, where you stated a long list of this man’s accolades and achievements.

What I meant was . . " So what"?

It was not his career in question as far as I understood, so what’s the glowing reference for?

I didn’t mean to offend, so keep your hair on. I just didn’t understand what his achievments had to do with how he treats (allegedly) women. :102:

Sorry LF, it’s just there was no hi-lighted quote or anything, and it followed on after Swimmy’s post, so I wasn’t sure who you were addressing. :slight_smile:

We’d best leave it at that then.