Ryan Giggs on trial for assaulting two women - Update: Charges withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service

Ryan Giggs appears at crown court accused of coercive control

Former Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs will go on trial at Manchester Crown Court on 24 January next year.

Mr Giggs, 47, allegedly assaulted Kate Greville, 36, and caused her actual bodily harm at his home in Greater Manchester on 1 November last year. He is also accused of controlling and coercive behaviour between December 2017 and November 2020.

Giggs appeared at the court on Friday during a short hearing where he confirmed his identity and the date was set. He was told the trial could last three weeks.

He will also attend a plea and trial preparation hearing on 23 July. The court was told that the crown was yet to “particularise the indictment” in relation to the accusation of controlling and coercive behaviour.

Mr Giggs, who is accused of using violence, isolation, belittling, humiliation, harassment, degradation and abuse, previously issued a statement saying he would “look forward to clearing my name”. He has also been charged with common assault by beating of Ms Greville’s younger sister, Emma Greville, in the alleged same incident, which he also denies.

Three weks seems a long time - I’m guessing that it’s because the prosecution has masses of evidence to present 
 :!:

Former Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs has arrived at court today accused of deliberately headbutting his ex-girlfriend and controlling her throughout their relationship.

Today’s hearing at Manchester Crown Court is another plea and trial preparation session before the case proper is expected to begin on January 24.

At his previous appearance in the dock at Manchester Magistrates’ Court three charges against him were read out and he entered not guilty pleas.

More later, perhaps 
 :confused:

Wales boss Ryan Giggs denies assaulting ex-girlfriend

The former Manchester United player pleaded not guilty to using controlling behaviour against Ms Greville, 36, between August 2017 and November 2020.

Appearing in court, the alleged details of the behaviour were read out to Mr Giggs.

It included claims he threatened to send emails to her friends and employers about their sexual relationship, and threw her belongings out of his house when she questioned him about relationships with other women.

He also allegedly kicked her in the back, and threw her out of a London hotel room naked, when she accused him of flirting with other women.

Mr Giggs denied assaulting Ms Greville and causing her actual bodily harm following an incident at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November last year.

Well, he would, wouldn’t he 
 :roll:

Has he been found guilty then?

Never mind that. Did he actually do it? :wink:

AFAIK, that is what the trial will determine 
 :wink:

:lol::lol:

That degree of knowledge is accessible only to those who actually perceived the event as it happened.

Guilt is invariably based on mathematical probability calculated by a system which did not perceive the incident(s).

On a personal level, I feel quite upset at the moment because I always admired Ryan Giggs. I honestly thought he was one of football’s gentleman.

From Omah’s accounts here, I now have serious doubts, and I can’t help feeling (perhaps even ‘knowing’) that my respect was grossly misplaced.

But still, we have to wait and see, eh?

Oi!! You seem to be taking a few lead fishing line weights and skewing your prob distribution a little prematurely.:wink:

Begging your forgiveness for my ignorance.
“He is accused of causing actual bodily harm to a woman in her 30s and common assault of a woman in her 20s at an address in Salford on 1 November.”

What’s the flippin difference between the two. Wouldn’t common assault cause bodily injury?

Any man that has to hit a woman, where I grew up is not considered a man at all!! If that pisses anyone off who reads it, well good!

1 Like

That’s the nature of psychology, and illustrates the difference between Turing’s concept of the cold artificial intelligence and the reasoning human brain.

Hence my final disclaimer in the message you refer to:

“But still, we have to wait and see, eh?”

By the way, just to clarify, could you specify exactly what it is that you are “distributing”?

His innocence.

Edit - or his guilt, depending on whether one is a glass half full or empty type of guy;-)

Once a twonka, always a twonka.:lol::wink:

The difference between ABH and common assault is that ABH requires a degree of injury whereas common assault does not. A charge of ABH is reserved for those cases where injury is more than transient or trifling.

Any man that has to hit a woman, where I grew up is not considered a man at all!! If that pisses anyone off who reads it, well good!

:023: :023:

This is the objective of your model. I was interested in how you would implement a distribution model which might indicate the probability of guilt. What entities would you use?

Here’s one idea:

I remember watching some of the Oscar Pistorius trial. I thought the prosecutor was masterful in his use of logic, the rules of inference, etc. in order to explore every little detail of the crime scene. During the trial, he was able to build a fairly clear picture of the crime.

There were so many events within this overall ‘mind-movie’ which were disputed between the prosecution and defence. Some of these events, and how the juror’s felt about them, and how they discussed them, would have been crucial for each juror’s final decision.

Add into the mix that judgement of intentions pertaining to events can depend on the outcomes of events elsewhere in the overall scenario, and it should become clear that we should try to resist the pre-trial verdicts of the twisted fake news toilet-lickers within organisations such as the BBC and Sky News.

So, a distribution model might consider entities such as jurors, notable events, along with metrics in order to quantify abstract things such as the certainty which a particular juror feels about an event.

Very complex. Can’t imagine anything like this would be used of course. But this is the kind of complex reasoning which the human mind has to perform intuitively in order to arrive at a ‘fair’ judgement.

Would make a great computer simulation game though! :slight_smile:

delete

The trial commenced on 3 March 2014 in the High Court in Pretoria. There was no jury, as the jury system in South Africa was abolished during the apartheid era (the Abolition of Juries Act, 1969).