Ryan Giggs on trial for assaulting two women - Update: Charges withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news

Jurors will return to court today to resume deliberations in the trial of former Manchester United star Ryan Giggs.

Update:

Jurors will return to court today to resume deliberations in the trial of former Manchester United star Ryan Giggs.

1 Like

Will they give a verdict today or are the deliberations going to take some time?

1 Like

The jury are permitted to take as long as they like in their deliberations. However, if no agreement can be reached and further discussion seems futile, the foreman may feel obliged to ask the judge for direction, e.g. a majority verdict.

Having been a juror in several trials, I can tell you that the composition of the jury is critical - one ā€œunreasonableā€ member can stymie the whole process ā€¦ :scream_cat:

Given that the Giggs trial is not a complex one (like fraud) but more a matter of ā€œopinionā€, I would have thought a decision would come sooner rather than later ā€¦ :069:

2 Likes

I often wonder why I have never been called up for jury dutyā€¦

1 Like

I saw news that the sick Juror has not returned, so the deliberations on the verdict will continue with only 11 Jurors making the decision now - thank Gawd they donā€™t have to appoint a new Jury and go through it all again!

2 Likes

Indeed ā€¦ :+1:

The remaining jurors have been told to work to a unanimous verdict.

Jurors sent home for the weekend.

2 Likes

Jurors deciding whether Ryan Giggs is guilty or not have been instructed they can give a majority verdict.

They have now been sent home and are set to reconvene on Wednesday.

The former Manchester United player denies controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting ex-girlfriend Kate Greville, 38, and her sister Emma, 26, at Manchester Crown Court.

There were initially 12 jurors, but after one fell ill last week, 11 are deciding.

The judge said they could give majority verdicts after they had been deliberating for 16 hours 34 minutes.

This means the jury no longer has to give unanimous verdicts to the charges - on which all members agree - but can give verdicts that 10 out of 11 on the panel agree

Thereā€™s always one ā€¦ :man_shrugging:

Which way is the jury swinging, though ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

The jury in the trial of former Manchester United player Ryan Giggs has been discharged after failing to reach verdicts on any of the charges.

Any retrial will not take place until at least 5 June 2023, the judge said.

The jury had failed to reach a verdict on any of three charges against Mr Giggs after deliberating for 22 hours and 59 minutes.

Judge Hilary Manley had asked if they had reached a verdict on any counts on which a majority of 10 to one had agreed. The foreman of the jury answered: ā€œNo.ā€ Asked if there was any ā€œrealistic prospectā€ of them reaching verdicts if given more time, the foreman again answered: ā€œNo.ā€

She then thanked the jurors and discharged them, warning them not to discuss the case as there may be another trial of the case in the future. Judge Manley said ā€œit was clear they had striven hard to reach verdictsā€ and should not feel ā€œdispiritedā€.

Well, I didnā€™t expect that ā€¦ :open_mouth:

2 Likes

So what happens next ?

Any retrial will not take place until at least 5 June 2023, the judge said.

Prosecutors are now expected to confirm whether they will seek a re-trial.

1 Like

He is only a second rate footballer!

2 Likes

I know, but he clearly still has some influence over whether or not he gets into bother!

1 Like

I donā€™t think who or what he is carries any weight . If anything it would be against him because of the reputation of some footballers . He is a womaniser he has admitted that but none of his other women have said he was abusive .
Itā€™s a difficult one to prove or disprove .His girlfriend sounds like a woman scorned out for revenge .
Meanwhile he has lost his job and his working life presumably is on hold ok maybe heā€™s so rich he doesnā€™t need to work but this case will be hanging over him.
He is still innocent until proven guilty

He was a really good player Tabbs played for Man U all his playing life .

2 Likes

He would not have lasted 5 minutes if he was second rate under Alex Ferguson. Made more appearances for Manchester United than anybody else during their best years.

1 Like

Might have been good at kicking a ball aboutā€¦but as a person, he hasnā€™t shown up in a good light at all. Sometimes the adulation goes to a persons head and they think they are invincible.

1 Like

True but heā€™s not on trial for being a good person , it takes two to tango and she could have left him she wasnā€™t his wife and clearly he had no intention of making her the second Mrs Giggs .Is a second trial really in the public interest ? Itā€™s arguable if the first one was there must be far more serious crimes the CPS might be pursuing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry Muddy, but if she could have left him, she would have. As mentioned earlier, these situations are not as clear cut as might appear on paper. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like