Ryan Giggs on trial for assaulting two women - Update: Charges withdrawn by the Crown Prosecution Service

Ryan Giggs trial jury retires to considers verdicts

The jury were sent out on Tuesday, the 12th day of the trial at Manchester Crown Court.

Having been a juror, I’ve been wondering what’s going through minds of the jury now. Listening to the evidence may have been alternately interesting and boring but deciding whether someone is guilty of an “unproven” crime which may lead to a jail sentence will, to some of the jury, be an emotional challenge. It may be days before verdicts on the charges are reached … but, if the jury know more than we do, maybe not … :069:

Coercive or controlling behaviour became an offence in 2015 and carries a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment. It is defined in law as: “An act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten a victim.” Giggs could face up to five years in jail if he is found guilty of the charges against him.

A conviction for ABH could see him jailed for four years, while common assault carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison. But any sentences are likely to run concurrently.

However, AFAIK, Giggs is a first offender, so the sentences, if he is found guilty, may be considerably lesser.

1 Like

Plus of course…who he is carries some weight, so he may not even get a smack on the hand. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Giggs may, indeed, be found “Not Guilty” and acquitted … :neutral_face:

1 Like

Why didn’t the woman walk out ?
She wasn’t trapped by marriage or children .

Which is why we have horrible people like Andrew Tate around setting an example of how a woman “should” be treated.

1 Like

It isn’t as simple as that. Women in abusive/manipulative situations just cannot “walk out”.

1 Like

It’s not simple where children are involved but in this case there are none.
Their repeated fights were because of his affairs with other woman
A man who has affairs with other woman clearly doesn’t love you so why did she stay ?
He through her out one time why would you go back to a man who treats you like that and to which you have no legal ties ?

It’s psychological, mostly. They turn your mind inside out.

1 Like

Indeed they do:

Gaslighting

Gaslighting is an insidious form of manipulation and psychological control. Victims of gaslighting are deliberately and systematically fed false information that leads them to question what they know to be true, often about themselves. They may end up doubting their memory, their perception, and even their sanity. Over time, a gaslighter’s manipulations can grow more complex and potent, making it increasingly difficult for the victim to see the truth.

“Now look what you’ve made me do … :angry:

1 Like

Their rows seemed to be because of his cheating But she knew he was a cheater he cheated on his wife with her ,cheated with his own brothers wife for years .
His reputation is well known as a cheater but cheating is not illegal.

However, coercive control is.

https://rightsofwomen.org.uk/get-information/violence-against-women-and-international-law/coercive-control-and-the-law/#What%20is%20coercive%20control?

What is coercive control?

Coercive control is when a person with whom you are personally connected, repeatedly behaves in a way which makes you feel controlled, dependent, isolated or scared.

The following types of behaviour are common examples of coercive control:

• isolating you from your friends and family
  • controlling how much money you have and how you spend it
  • monitoring your activities and your movements
  • repeatedly putting you down, calling you names or telling you that you are worthless
  • threatening to harm or kill you or your child
  • threatening to publish information about you or to report you to the police or the authorities
  • damaging your property or household goods
  • forcing you to take part in criminal activity or child abuse

Some of the behaviours in this list can be other offences as well as coercive control, so your abuser can be arrested for more than one offence for the same behaviour. For example, if your abuser broke your phone as part of his coercive control then he could be arrested and charged for coercive control and also the offence of criminal damage.

Your abuser will be guilty of the offence of coercive control if

• he is personally connected to you, and
  • his behaviour has had a serious effect on you, and
  • your abuser knew or ought to have known that his behaviour would have a serious effect on you.
1 Like

Well thanks for all that I expect most of us do have some idea what control is all about .
However you have to prove it and it’s funny that these celebrity cases the man is very rich , the cynic in me says no point in suing a poor man .

Your query:

implied that you didn’t.

The Ryan Giggs trial is a Crown Court criminal trial not a County Court civil case so no suing is involved.

It implied no such thing having lived a long life I do know what controlling men are like but thanks anyway perhaps there are a few men out there who don’t ,
If no suing is involved what does she want ?
There is an old saying hell hath no fury ……but I am sure you know the rest .
They are also in a court case about who gets the dog it appears both are fonder of the dog .

That’s understandable.

2 Likes

So why ask the question? Was it merely rhetorical?

Is this question rhetorical, too?

You are so knowledgeable im sure you can decide that on your own .
As a woman I would not stay with a man so chronically unfaithful but the fact is he offered her the prestige and addictive lifestyle of a rich and well known man.

Funny she is another one who mysteriously lost her phones when the police wanted more evidence .
Dropped one in a river - where have we heard that one before ?

I once had lunch with Ryan Giggs…it was a corporate thing so I expect he was on his best behaviour…he was charming though.

I hope this trial isn’t costing the taxpayer money!

Hi

I have thought that I would like to be controlling but never got the hang of it
:unamused:

A Crown prosecution is bound to cost the taxpayer money
The Crown are prosecuting Giggs on criminal charges, so presumably the CPS must have agreed there was sufficient evidence to warrant a criminal trial.
What the Jury will decide after hearing all the evidence remains to be seen but I hope they don’t let the fact that the man is/was “famous” influence their verdict.

1 Like