Russia' first space mission to Moon in 47 years: Update: Luna-25 spacecraft crashes into Moon

Russia launched its first mission to the surface of the Moon in nearly half a century, in a bid to be the first country to land on the lunar south pole.

Moscow’s Luna 25 mission lifted off on schedule from the Vostochny Cosmodrome in the Russian Far East.

The Moon’s south pole is believed to hold deposits of water.

The Russian mission is racing against India, which sent up its own lander last month that is already orbiting the Moon.

Russia’s space chief told Interfax the lander is expected to touch down on 21 August. As of earlier this week, India’s Chandrayaan-3’s spacecraft was due to reach the surface on 23 August.

A rush job from Russia?

If all goes according to plan, Luna-25 will spend the next five days journeying to the moon, then circle the natural satellite for another five to seven days. The spacecraft will then set down in the moon’s south polar region, near Boguslawsky Crater. (Two backup landing spots are also in play: southwest of Manzini Crater and south of Pentland A Crater.)

Once down safe and sound, Luna-25 will work on the lunar surface for at least one Earth year.

It took longer than expected for Luna-25 to get off the ground; its liftoff was delayed for nearly two years.

One major countdown-delaying issue was sparked by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which began in February 2022. The European Space Agency (ESA) had been set to provide the Pilot-D navigation camera, built specifically to help Luna-25 make a precision landing on the moon. Due to the invasion, however, ESA canceled the camera cooperation, along with a number of other collaborative space projects.

But getting Luna-25 on its way to the moon remained a priority, one highlighted by Russian President Vladimir Putin. In an April 2022 visit to the Vostochny Cosmodrome, he said the sanctions placed on Russia by the U.S., the European Union and others would not deter the nation from carrying out space exploration.

2 Likes

Does cancelling the camera cooperation mean we won’t get pictures?

1 Like

I’m sure that, should the mission succeed, there will be pictures galore … :slightly_smiling_face:

Apparently, the Pilot-D navigation camera is a demonstrator model and not essential for spacecraft operation.

1 Like

Well done Russia, although I am surprised with the pressures they must be under from the west and Europe. Perhaps the pressures on Russia are not as much as the western media lead us to believe.
However, the fact that more countries are fancying their chances of getting to the moon, I can’t help thinking that sooner or later there is going to be a base up their by someone. It may be scientific or military, but it would make a brilliant strategic place to threaten those you didn’t like from…

1 Like

Considering they have now determined that water exists up there with some even bound up in rock structures, the possibilities are endless👍

1 Like

It looks like the pressures on Russia are actually caused by Russia and its kleptographic structures. So in a real sense, problems created by Putin.
I’m not surprised this moon mission has failed. The spacecraft will have suffered from design and build quality in the same way the Russian military equipment has suffered. The entire Russian manufacturing capability is corrupt and badly run by Putin’s oligarch mates. Everyone is siphoning off their cut or cutting corners to line their own pockets. It is to be expected that something, or many things, went wrong.

Sorry Lincs, I don’t keep up with the latest news…Has something happened to the Russian spacecraft?

Very recently:

Russia’s unmanned Luna-25 spacecraft has crashed into the Moon after spinning out of control, officials say. Roscosmos, Russia’s state space corporation, said on Sunday morning that it had lost contact with the Luna-25 shortly after 14:57pm (11:57 GMT) on Saturday.

Preliminary findings showed that the 800kg lander had “ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon”, it said in a statement. It said a special commission would look into why the mission failed.

The loss of Luna-25 is a blow to Roscosmos. Russia’s civilian space programme has been in decline for several years, as state funding is increasingly directed towards the military.

1 Like

Thanks Omah… :+1:
:ru:
Well I think they did very well to actually get that far and I’m sure the mission won’t have been a complete failure as they will probably have learnt stuff from the failure.
It still remains to be seen if the Indian attempt can be successful.

1 Like

it was!! - who’s side are ya on now smarty pants

Its “Curry Time” for the Clangers :grin:

Expect the shops to be full of cheese soon Spitty…

Perhaps that’s where Prigy is?