Runner Beans

I planted some runner bean seeds out last week. had a look yesterday - Nothing!

Looked this morning, two inches tall. Wow! They grow fast don’t they.

They do grow fast LD :slight_smile: mine are about 14’’ and climbing the poles.

Mine are doing very well as well.

I grew them last year but from plants so thought I would try seeds this time. Is there anything I need to know like removing certain side shoots or anything? I have planted two per pole and will remove the weakest one.

About 8’’ now.

And the runner beans?

:lol: Naughty girl.

Dongles, what variety are you growing?
I am trying “Firestorm” this year.
The flowers are supposed to set well regardless of weather, but that remains to be seen.

I remember learning how to market garden down in hampshire years ago and purchased some sturdy canes as instructed by my FIL and then just bought some beans stuck them in a hole and they just never stopped growing and fruiting - we collected everyday - that was truly amazing!

How long have you been in Oz, Gummy?
Do you live near Ploppy - 3rd house on the right? :slight_smile:

approx 38yrs [god how time flies] and one trip [hols] back to Uk in all that time - strangely enough for the first 20 yrs lived fairly close to Ploppy - few miles away but now long long way away bwana!! in the Kimberley - Gods own country where there are plenty of drovers and the sheep need to be nervous!!:shock:

No DL :slight_smile: but I do give some beans a gentle guiding hand to assist their tendrils up the poles when they stray :slight_smile:
The tendrils on some of my beans are half way up the poles .

Like Meg, my beans are halfway up the cane now. Personally I start my seeds in 3" pots in late April, and then when I plant them out in mid May I plant another seed against each cane which extends the cropping season by four to six weeks. :slight_smile:

good idea barry - those beans love company!!

:shock:

I’ve a good mind to come over there and smack your bottom but I just know you would enjoy it. :mrgreen:

They are called Summer Medley. Never tried them before. I had some beans last year but they were dwarf French.

I do the same as you Barry, and start them off in pots.

That’s what I’m hoping. i will be planting some more this weekend so that they are spread a bit longer.

Thanks. A couple of good tips there. Maybe I will try the pot/seed method next year (if I remember that far).

So are mine Meg
They are not so much climbing as hanging on for dear life in the face of the storms we have had down here .

Me too and I grow a second batch in case a late frost catches the first lot when I put them out. These I give away if I don’t need themoutside …

:lol:Mine too Muddy, last night was a real test of their hang on power …